Bluetooth USB Dongle external hardrive.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by epon83, May 9, 2009.

1. epon83 macrumors newbie

Hi All, Recently bought an external hard drive so i could use time machine. Was looking at making it wireless by using a Bluetooth dongle to connect to it. However most usb dongle only seem to be compatible with vista....Also thinking about getting a sony hifi with a usb port. Could i use a A2DP bluetooth connection to connect to this.
    I have a blue tooth on my mac.
    Any ideas /comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

As far as I'm aware the USB ports on external drives simply act as a USB hub for the computer it is connected to, and won't work with anything other than USB storage devices. Same goes for the Sony system; that'll just be for connecting storage to such as an MP3 player.

3. stanton macrumors member

stanton

It sounds like your looking for a Wireless NAS with DLNA/uPnP media functionality. Most of the NAS devices I've seen are GigE wired, but you could use a wireless gaming adapter. (Basically, it's a wireless to ethernet adapter.) I personally have a Promise NS4300N NAS, but I've heard that the Drobo + DroboShare NASs are rather good as well.

I'm basically assuming that the Sony HiFi system is a internet media player... If it doesn't support wireless, you can use another adapter for it to stream off the network.

As far as bluetooth, I don't think your going to find anything with built-in support, but allot of companies though do support wireless networking. Due to the low power of the radios and limited range, it just wouldn't be practical for BT in most applications.

Hope this helps. :apple:

4. epon83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, was altogether confused! Thought i had found a cheap way of going wireless.
    Really helpful! :)