Bluetooth USB dongle for connecting to my mobile ... anyone done this advice please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patrickq, Aug 15, 2008.

1. patrickq macrumors member

Wasn't sure how to phrase the subject line, but here is what I want to do, using G4 PowerPC laptop, OSX.4.11:

I access the internet (EDGE) via mobile phone and am using a Nokia 3110 Classic, which I connect to via the inbuilt bluetooth. I want to be able to make this connection without using the inbuilt Bluetooth, so that I am in room with my computer, which is connected via USB (or any other feasible port) to the mobile phone which is located outside.

I wonder if I can do this successfully by using a Bluetooth dongle, which is not physically inserted into laptop, but connected to far end of a long USB extension cable, where the dongle/phone make the connection.

Assuming I can make a connection in this way, my concern is that a long USB cable may suffer from power loss to the dongle? If so, what is maximum serviceable length?

Unfortunately, Nokia do not support MAC with their software for direct phone to computer connection via cable, as far as I can gather, and I haven't managed to find any (preferably free) programs that can do so - I can connect the phone directly to USB on computer.

Any suggestions, especially from anyone who has successfully done the above, greatly appreciated :)

2. sharky05 macrumors regular

Max length for hi-speed USB is 5m (16ft5). For low-speed it's 3m (9ft10). If you want to run longer reels than this, I believe you'll need to use up to 5 powered USB hubs every 5m to boost the signal. The issue isn't so much to do with power, but more to do with timing (http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5 has the techie lowdown).

3. patrickq thread starter macrumors member

Sharky, many thanks for the info/link, neatly answers my question regarding cable lengths :)