Bluetooth/USB Mouse & Keyboard(?) for MBP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by daisu, Jul 27, 2007.

1. daisu macrumors member

Hello,

I'm setting up a personal editing station with my MBP. Using dv footage. Small movies and segments <10 but with an eye for more and more.

I was wondering if anyone could provide any good recommendations for a mouse and/or keyboard. I understand there are some final cut specific keyboards?

Thanks for any and all information.

2. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

there are some great final cut keyboards out there, however as you use the application more and more you will stop looking at the keyboard and use the shortcuts directly from memory, so ask yourself: why pay extra for a final cut keyboard when you are only going to use the color coded keys that you paid extra for a little while, and besides knowing the shortcuts will make all the difference. if you know them then you never have to look down! and as for the mice, if you have big hands like me the Kensington Mice this is the one i have. i can't say i use that often, I am a keyboard shortcut junkie:D. Logitech mice are really nice, but NOT Cheap:eek:

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I would go for a wireless mouse and keyboard IMO because they will only take up max one USB port. Or if you get bluetooth none, this will leave the ports on your MBP free for extra HD's and anything else you might plug in.

4. daisu thread starter macrumors member

I think I might get a bluetooth mouse for now (the Logitech V270 Cordless Optical Bluetooth) and see how the laptop treats me. How is the laptop keyboard for doing editing work in Final Cut Pro? Is anyone using FCP 2 or 5.x? If I can get FCP 2 should I use it or go with the cheaper 5.x version?

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK800i/R1EJ Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I would strongly recommend against a wireless mouse. They are slow and unresponsive.

6. daisu thread starter macrumors member

Is that across the board? Are some forms of wireless better than other forms? What type of delay?

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

No idea if it is across the board but the Apple bluetooth mouse is damn near unusable it is so slow. Then again I have the wired mouse set on maximum speed in the mouse preferences which apparantly is too fast for most people who use my computer, I guess it is what you are used too.

Personally I'd rather use the command line than the bluetooth mouse (not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing to say about the mouse :)).

8. lag1090 macrumors 6502

No, it's not across the board. Bluetooth input devices do have some lag time, but it's mostly bearable. Wireless sets with USB receivers are much more responsive, but at the cost of an USB port. You'll pretty much be happy with any recently produced RF keyboard/mouse (almost all wireless ones are RF).

9. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I've had Apple's Bluetooth Mighty Mouse for over a year now, and don't see any problems with speed issues. I find the precision of the mouse to be excellent - more-so than my previous wired logitech mouse, which would oscellate back and forth between two pixels when I wasn't even touching the mouse. And I too have the mouse ramped all the way up.

Perhaps you have some sort of interferance in your work space that is decreasing the S/N ration in the bluetooth carrier. microwaves and wireless phones can occupy the same frequency, and decrease the effective bandwidth.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I doubt it. I have used the mouse on two different computers, with two different mice in two different houses and in both cases the mouse juddered. It was not smooth in the slightest and felt slow and unresponsive, plus even moving the mouse settings up to max it still felt slower than a wired mouse.

11. daisu thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, what's a recommended wireless mouse/keyboard set (or just mouse and a keyboard seperately)