Bluetooth VS. Wireless mouse - which one should I take??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jon08, Jun 5, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

I'm currently deciding whether I should go for a bluetooth or a wireless mouse for my MBP.

I've narrowed it down to:

Logitech V470
    Logitech VX Nano
    Logitech MX Revolution

Now, what I would like to know first and foremost is, does any one know their dimensions? I currently own a very basic white Logitech USB optical mouse of standard size. From the looks of things, V470 & VX Nano seem to be a bit smaller than my current mouse, and MX Revolution seems big - normal size just like my mouse (if not slightly bigger, but surely broader). Are my assessments true?

Secondly, I love the idea of a bluetooth mouse. No wire, no plug. Great. But as far as bluetooth (V470) is concerned, I've read people say that it lags, which was sort of a turnoff for me. My question is, does it lag more than, say, the wireless VX or MX mice do?

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I had a VX nano and for the price/size, it wasn't worth it...

My current mice I use frequently are a v470 BT, a v450 micro and an ihome nano... all 3 were purchased for ~the same cost as the vx nano alone and I can pick and choose what I want to use depending on my mood...

I find the v470 is great when I don't want to use a USB port up and I like the shape/feel of the ihome ih-m132zd nano but time will tell how long it will last...

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

What about size and lagging comparison? Isn't VX nano about the same size as V470? Also, will V470 lag more than VX nano?

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

you hear people appraise bluetooth mice and others appraise the wireless. I will tell you from personal experience

I started with the mighty mouse and apple keyboard (both use bluetooth). after about 6 months i started noticing problems with paring and losing connections, mainly with the mighty "crap" mouse. I am now using the logitech combo wireless keyboard and mouse and have not noticed any problems (though i only had it for a month). My brother advise to me was that from his experience the wireless is more stable than the bluetooth. I had searched around before i bought the the wireless mouse/keyboard and my impression was the wireless is more stable in the long run. The only down side is that you will be using a usb port, but with MBP you already have 3 ports + the ports from the cinema display if you are using one.

If you have extra cash, you can try the bluetooth, if it goes well then that's it if not you can switch to wireless. If you don't have extra cash, my advise is to go with wireless, it is safer.

5. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Love my Logitech 470...the only 'issue' is that it sometimes takes 6-8 seconds to reconnect when the computer is sleeping or standing by...or you may have to pair it up manually again...doesn't bother me a bit...

...bluetooth mice to track different than the regular wireless mice...

Cheers.

-J.-

6. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

VX Nano rocks my socks........paid about $30 on Amazon

7. stephen.howden macrumors newbie

Although not in your list of mice you have narrowed it down to, best mouse purchase i have ever made was a Kensington SlimBlade Bluetooth. Well made, slim, minimal looking, looks great with a Macbook Pro, and the bluetooth seems to be faultless, not experienced any connection issues.

8. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I went to a computer store today and saw and tried all three. My conclusion is that V470 and VX Nano are slightly too small for my hands. MX Revolution's size seemed best.

However, I found a fourth mouse, a Logitech V550. It seems slightly bigger than the V470 or VX Nano and also pretty nice. Its color would as well go well with my MBP.

Anybody recommend me the V550 one?

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...the vx nano was too small, the v470 is ok but would be nice if it was slightly larger... I also like the size of the ihome 132zd I just got with a nano usb dongle...

10. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I might be buying Logitech V550 then. The size seems to fit my palm better than V470 or VX Nano, and besides, its USB plug is really small (like VX Nano's).

Just a quick question: does anyone know if MX Revolution has a bigger USB plug or is it as well small?
    EDIT: nvm, I just saw it in a video... certainly is bigger than V550's or VX Nano's, which is sort of a turn off for me, considering I'm using a MBP...

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Another mouse you may want to look at is the MX1100. It's roughly the same size as the MX Rev, but it lacks the second wheel. It does, however, have a wheel that can be switched between free-spinning and clicky, which is a feature I absolutely adore on mine.