Bluetooth/wifi receiving information

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by sdc121, Jun 24, 2011.

1. sdc121 macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I want to design a iPhone app that can receive data for example a name and number from another bluetooth/wifi device i.e. a data controller.

I have designed an app that can content iPhone to iPhone and send message to each other using GameKit but can't workout how or if it can be done from another machine.

It can be sent through bluetooth or local wifi.

I look forward to hearing your views on this, thanks for your help in advance.

Steven

2. chown33 macrumors 604

What protocol does the data controller use over wifi? Does it act as the client or the server, or is it using a peer-based architecture?

What Bluetooth profile does the data controller use?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

If it's a serial port profile, then I doubt the iOS Bluetooth stack will connect to it.

3. sdc121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

with there data controllers they are going to change them so they work for the iphone but at the moment they are using wifi and the protocol they are currently using is wireless modbus TCP and they haven't got the bluetooth setup with it yet.

they will change the controllers to what ever it needs to be done with it.

the data controller with act as a server so it will read a device and the controller will sent the data ever second or minute to the iphone.

At the moment we are more interested in doing it over wifi as they are using wifi at mo (even tho they might have change it a little bit)

hope you can help more with this.

thanks again :)

4. chown33 macrumors 604

I did some searching and skimming, and I see no obvious reason the iPhone can't be programmed to communicate using Modbus over TCP and wireless.

Modbus over TCP is a well-defined protocol. TCP/IP over wireless is also well-defined.

I have connected iPhone to wireless devices running embedded web-servers with no problems. I've also used protocols other than HTTP and HTTPS, and that works, too. It's all just plain old TCP/IP as far as iPhone is concerned.

You will certainly need to become familiar with iPhone programming in general, and iPhone network programming in particular. You may end up implementing all or some of a Modbus over TCP library.

If you can't find an iOS version of such a library, you should probably look for a Mac version written in Objective-C and Cocoa. In fact, after finding modbus.org via google:
    http://www.modbus.org/tech.php

it was easy to find this:
    http://www.modbusapps.com/mbk.php

It says it's alpha quality, and the last mod-date is 2009. It may be adequate for your needs, or you may have to make a more extensive search. I found the above with less than 2 minutes of searching and reading.