Bluetooth/Wireless External Hardirve??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbussiere, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jbussiere macrumors member

Man,
    Besides TimeCapsule which costs an arm and a leg, are there any other brands that make a bluetooth external HD? Or one that connects somehow wirelessly? I don't have a router because I'm at college, so I can't go that route. thanks guys.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Bluetooth isn't designed for hard drives. WiFi is what you're looking for.

3. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Get an Airport Extreme on eBay, then a USB hard drive to plug into it and create an "Airdisk"
    That's the cheapest way to go if you want to use Apple gear.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Get a cheap wireless router (i know your in college, but you dont have to plug it into the internet of anything, just connect it to the power supply so its emitting a wireles signal) then plug in a cheap network hard drive, (any external hard drive with a LAN port) and away you go :)

I have this network hard drive:

http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_detail.asp?ID=3402&CatID=8020&sCatID=1146195&ssCatID=1146196

If your looking for something like Apples time capsule, which is basically what ive just described but the wireless router is glued to the external hard drive then you wont find anything cheaper than the Time Capsule, Sorry.

5. xoggyux macrumors 6502

If he connects wirelessly to a router (to get access to the HDD) he wont be able to receive internet from a second (different) source of internet. Since it can only have connection to 1 wireless network. Hence neither a router nor a airport extreme (or air for that matter) will work. I use belkin networked router (this needs a router so wont work for you either) and the HDD is very slow (I dont mind because is fast enogh to see movies and hear MP3 which is all i do with that drive) however this means that if you need to access quickly this might not be your solution either, and I am assuming the airport extreme usb solution is not much faster.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Why not? I connect to 2 wireless networks all the time on my MBP.

7. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Are you sure? I think you can only connect to one network at the same time, I have to routers at home to have coverage outside, when I am connected to one, it automatically disconnects the other.. anyway

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm curious as to how you can select 2 wireless networks to join simultaneously. On my AirPort, if you select one, it automatically disconnects from any other.

9. south8212 macrumors 6502

i think he may have meant a lan connection and a wireless connection?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not what he said: