Bluetooth/wireless mighty mouse left and right click problems

jimbb2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Clicking with the left and right mouse buttons doesn't seem to be working properly. I first realised this when a message box warning me of low disk space popped up and I couldn't click on OK. Scrolling with the ball works, as does clicking with it. I restarted my iMac and removed the batteries from the mouse for a minute, but all that happened was that left and right clicks started acting like middle clicks. A wired mighty mouse works fine. I've tried cleaning it by turning it upside down and rubbing the ball on paper and a clean damp cloth, no change.

I suspect this is a hardware problem, but short of taking the mouse apart or taking it into an Apple store, does anybody have any suggestions? If I do take it into a store, will they fix/exchange it? I only bought it in January, but I didn't hang onto the receipt.

If I do have to buy a new mouse, I'm considering a magic mouse. The things holding me up are:

* Middle-click - I use this hundreds of times a day. Triple-tapping is slow and awkward. Any other options?

* Linux compatibility - I spent most of my time in Linux, Ubuntu to be exact. What's the compatibility like?

jimbb2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Check under  -> System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse. What are the buttons mapped to?
I'm afraid that's not the problem. Everything is as it should be there, and a wired mighty mouse works fine. Furthermore, the wireless mighty mouse has stopped working entirely now, the iMac can't even see it any more.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.