Bluetooth/Wireless Stereo Headset Options

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jedolley, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

I am hoping to get some advice... First, a little background... This is my first Mac (27" iMac) ever, and so far it's been really nice! This is also my first desktop with bluetooth. I also like to keep things wireless as much as possible. I am looking for a wireless or bluetooth stereo headset solution for mostly watching movies/TV, but with a mic for occassional chat/gaming.

I previously had the Logitech G930, but they covered my ears to the point that it was hard to hear anything around me. I don't keep the volume very loud, but still couldn't hear the wife when she was trying to talk to me :p. I then tried the Logitech H760 which is also wireless headset solution and it would be perfect if not for two things... uncomfortable when wearing glasses (tends to be the norm for behind the neck style), and takes up a USB slot.

I was hoping to find a bluetooth headset solution to free up the usb slot, over the head style for comfort (but not covering the ears or no noise canceling), and can be used for chat/gaming. Most of the ones I have found seem geared towards mobile phone use, but these will probably never leave the house. So far I have found two that might fit my needs. Jabra Halo, and the Jaybirds Sportsband. I prefer the look of the Jaybirds, but reviews make it seem like it would be a tight fit since it's designed to stay on your head during physical workouts. I guess another concern for both would be if they will still be adequate chat wise in ventrilo or other similar gaming chat programs since no external mic is present.

Another option was just getting some bluetooth headphones (no mic) and possibly using the iMac mic for chat and gaming, but i'm not sure how well that would work out? Anyone using either of these types of solutions?

Any input into the matter or suggestions on other options would be greatly appreciated.

2. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, so I think my first post was a little long winded...:eek:

Basically what I am looking to know is:

1. How practical are Bluetooth Stereo Headsets for chatting/gaming using programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak?

2. If they are, what are some good options or recommended headsets?
    2a. Do any of them have external mics?

3. Also, would a Bluetooth headphones & iMac internal mic be an adequate option for the same as above?

Thanks in advance.