Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdb31

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
SF Bay Area
I have a 2008 mac pro with the aluminum bluetooth wireless keyboard. Everythings been fine for over a year now and then after working in windows today and rebooting into OSX my keyboard wouldn't respond.

What I've tried/observations:
- I know the hardware is working because it still works in windows and for selecting the boot partition (holding option upon start).
- I tried a few restarts and reset the keyboard
- The bluetooth icon isn't showing up at all on my system preferences or my menu bar. If I check "show bluetooth status in the menu bar" it appears and disappears immediately and then unchecks its dialog box
- If I search for bluetooth in my system preferences, I can find the main bluetooth dialog to check the status of existing devices and add new devices. If I try and add a new device I get the message "No bluetooth hardware found: in order to use this application, you must have a bluetooth module. Please verify that your bluetooth hardware is properly attatched to the computer." I don't believe that this is a hardware issue because of the hardwares functioning in windows/boot, although I don't have any ideas for a solution
- Under "about this mac" bluetooth is listed under the hardware contents but if selected displays the message "no information found"

Thanks all for looking, any thoughts would be much appreciated. :(

kdb31

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
SF Bay Area
After digging around more through Apples site I stumbled across the SMC reset which seemed to do the trick - all is well now. I was all excited I had a month of uptime and no problems (usually restart sooner inevitably for some update), I guess I spoke too soon :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.