Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
I've read many topics about bluetooth interference. When i was using USB keyboard/mouse i had no problems. But now i switched to Magic Keyboard 2 / Trackpad 2, they're not disconnecting, but i have cursor / keyboard stuttering from time to time, it's very annoying. I'm not using USB ports at all.

Did someone managed to fix this interference issue?

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Strange I’ve got a MM running with exactly those Apple Bluetooth devices, and it’s in a server cabinet with bucketloads of USB3, networking and power cables. Works fine no issues (unlike my 2017 iMac which does have BT issues with very little other kit around it).

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
What transmitting frequency is your router on? If your router is using the 2.4 GHZ band and your router has dual bands, switch to the 5 GHZ band instead. The 2.4 GHZ band will sometimes cause interference with BT.

Reactions: a2jack

avxkim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
What transmitting frequency is your router on? If your router is using the 2.4 GHZ band and your router has dual bands, switch to the 5 GHZ band instead. The 2.4 GHZ band will sometimes cause interference with BT.

My router stands next to MM and i'm already using 5ghz. I use wifi for universal clipboard mainly, because MM is connected via ethernet.

Reactions: Ploki

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
My router stands next to MM and i'm already using 5ghz. I use wifi for universal clipboard mainly, because MM is connected via ethernet.
FYI, universal clipboard works without Wifi too (using Bluetooth). Might be worth testing whether it makes any difference turning Wifi off on the Mini

avxkim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
FYI, universal clipboard works without Wifi too (using Bluetooth). Might be worth testing whether it makes any difference turning Wifi off on the Mini

I tested it already, it works 1-2 hours, then stops working. I can't copy anything from ios to mac and vice versa, only when i turned on wifi (also connecting to a network is mandatory, otherwise it won't work).

Forgot to mention, with wifi completely turned off (not on, but not connected to any network) i have no issues with bluetooth, but i've read only 2.4GHZ is interfering with bluetooth, so why my turned on wifi, but not even connected to a 2.4ghz is causing problems?

Last edited:

Adapsys

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
I had lots of issues with Bluetooth and Wifi. In the end it was an external hard drive I had near it. Seems they are very prone to interference.

Reactions: Partron22

avxkim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
I had lots of issues with Bluetooth and Wifi. In the end it was an external hard drive I had near it. Seems they are very prone to interference.
I have external HDD attached to a time capsule, but it's on the other side in the room.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I have literally nothing connected except keyboard via LG (nothing to the mini except the screen) and i get bluetooth freezes.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
This is clearly yet another hardware defect that Apple refuses to acknowledge and fix

T-Bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
This is the one issue that is inching me towards not buying another MM18, I've not experienced trackpad dropouts on any other device. I take it no improvement since new Mojave?

pst23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2015
I have no issues with my Logitech keyboard and mouse. Bluetooth works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.