Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by HussamRaed, Mar 12, 2013.

1. HussamRaed, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

HussamRaed macrumors regular

HussamRaed

I have always wondered about iPhones not having bluetooth file sharing options built in, like is it that hard for Apple to make a simple setting?

If so. What other options do iPhones have in terms of sharing files via Bluetooth? (Bump requires WiFi and it's so slow for videos and music, great for photos though).

iOS 7 Hopefully?

2. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

It's not a question on if they can. They simply never will allow it.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You can fileshare over bluetooth.

PhotoSync and other apps do it.

4. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Yes, you need an app to do it. With other phones, you do not.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You said.

I was merely pointing out the false statement, as clearly they do.

6. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

It's not a false statement. They won't allow it without the user using an app. You still can't transfer files from a computer using BT file transfer that is built into all Macs.

7. HussamRaed thread starter macrumors regular

HussamRaed

8. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Because the whole architecture iOS is based on.

Simply put, there is no concept of filesystem on iOS, from an end user point of view. So if you could transfer from a given non-apple device to the iOS device, where would the files end up?

All you have is apps and each app is on it's little sandbox (means, it can only technically use it's own documents folder) and the only means to communicate between apps is through invoke commands (such as URI calls, popular for the "open in" functionality in safari, to name an example) or the clipboard, popular between music apps.

That was from an "into" perspective.

Now, the "out to" perspective. Well, since again, there is no concept of filesystem, app developers have to enable bluetooth sharing on their apps. As far as I know/remember, none of the built in apps (Apple's) have bluetooth functionality, so maybe your gripe starts when you cannot share "music" or "photos" from the basic apps on the system, but you can actually share a lot of things with different apps, like others before me mentioned.

Now my thoughts... I believe bluetooth is great and all specially for 3rd party communication of accessories (headsets, controllers, so on), but not so much anymore for sharing of files.
    I understand the old "Oh please send me that MP3 via bluetooth", but nowadays, even in my country (slow 3G), I find it easier/faster to just iMessage/Line/Whatsapp/Viber somebody with say an image or a video (even if some quality is lost) that trying to send it via bluetooth.

Of course not all of this applies to all files like in "other" systems like Android, where you can send every file in your filesystem (PDF, TXT, DOC, DAT, ABC, DFG, DGDGDDHSFHFHT), but just saying.

PD: Of forgot to say, you can spread open iOS legs via Jailbreaking and then use iFile (guessing, as I don't really use bluetooth like I said before) or something like that to send any kind of file, but of course, this question was more of a "In the non-jailbroken kingdom of Appledoom...".

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Here's a thought: when you transfer a file between devices, the receiving device could have the existing "open in" dialog pop up. If no compatible app is available then it will say the file cannot be transferred.

10. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

I hope they will add 'AirDrop' for iOS

Maybe people remember the logo^^
    It just is a rarely used feature on my Mac, actually I've never used it :-/
    If they allow to simply share data between iOS & OSX it'd change everything, all over again -.-

Attached Files:

11. HussamRaed thread starter macrumors regular

HussamRaed

OMG THAT WOULD BE VERY COOL! Let's just pray that they put this in iOS 7...

----------

What An interesting elaboration you got there, though I still think that the "Concept Of iOS" should change just a little bit. Not too much because that would piss a lot of customers, especially those who don't like to deal with the learning curves that new features or UIs have.

I would totally Use "AirDrop for iOS" if they managed to Stick it into iOS 7.

12. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

That sounds like a great plan.
    Unfortunately, "not even" your money and mine joined in a venture would make Timmy and Jony change their minds :D
    And also let's not forget the whole "open in" concept works great for regular stuff (but not all, like a simple MP3, I doubt they'll want people to transfer MP3s just like that instead of spilling some green flavor into their accounts via iTunes). But what about a 7Z file, a .DAT, a .SQLite I dont know, so much scenarios of things you'd even like to receive to forward in a mail and you couldn't.

Although I love iOS, I think some of the basic concepts are a bit outdated, they probable keep on pushing them for their "simplicity" motto... but sometimes they do feel antiquated.