Bluray and 30" ACD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ildondeigiocchi, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I have a new Mac Pro and 30" ACD. I want to buy a Bluray Video camera and optical drive in order to edit movies. Will this work on a 30" apple cinema display. There is a website here that is selling a mac bluray drive that works on a mac pro and has pictures of bluray movies so i want to know if i will be able to watch Bluray movies on my Mac Pro connected to 30" ACD? Please help.:):apple::)

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Short answer.... Nope

Blu-ray playback is not yet available while using OSX but you can playback blu-ray disks while using windows under bootcamp assuming you have a blu-ray drive.

the only purpose for a blu-ray drive now is for data storage.

as for the camcorder, why go for a blu-ray disk based camcorder?
    HDV or AVCHD is significantly cheaper than a BD-R disk and I'm assuming you will get the same quality if not better then a BD/DVD camcorder.

EDIT: also I'm not sure if Blu-ray camcorders apply but I know for a fact that you cannot edit DVD based camcorder footage in final cut.

3. ildondeigiocchi thread starter macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Thanks for the reply. I have an XP bootcamp partition and wouldn't mind wtching the videos on XP but I need To know if bluray will display image on my Apple Cinema Display HD 30".

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It depends on the disk. The ACDs don't have HDCP, so some disks will not play at all while others will only play at standard-def. Either way, even in Windows, you're not getting HD content on an ACD.

5. gangst macrumors 6502a

It will work as long as the camera records to a format which is readable by OS X or whatever video editing program you are using such as Final Cut pro. However, if the format is VC-1 based, you won;t be able to view it.

Have you got a link for the camera you are buying, I didn't know they did Blu-ray cameras yet?

As for the monitor, viewing your content will be fine as long as the video is playable. HDCP protection will only be present on copyrighted material.

Yet as mentioned, go for HDV or AVC as it is so much superior to CD/DVD/BR based cameras. I have used these in the past and the discs are a nuisance, they are really incompatible with Mac's, usually have poor battery life and are susceptible to judders when filming, meaning you have to format the disc!! Tape is sooo much better!