Bluray burner/player recommendation

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigcat, Dec 3, 2013.

1. bigcat macrumors 6502

I am shopping for an external bluray burner/player to use with my rMBP. Known to work with makeMKV would be nice.

I am looking at the one below from OWC and was wondering if that's good or whether there are better options for that price.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MR3F8BDSD15X/

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think any external Blu-ray drive is going to work with MakeMKV. I ordered this MCE drive the other day. There might be drives that are a little faster, but I like how it replicates the SuperDrive.

I intend to do a lot of ripping with MakeMKV as well.

4. bigcat thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback. Not all drives work. I already have a slim bluray player which is really nice because it's light and USB powered but makeMKV fails all the time reporting a hardware error when ripping. I can play bluray movies just fine, can't rip them. I suspect the drive is not getting enough juice out of the USB port on my rMBP.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

That's interesting. Well check out The Wirecutter's opinion, they tested multiple external Blu-ray drives and specifically tested MakeMKV compatibility.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I have the Samsung SE-506BB Bluray/DVD writer mentioned in the article in the post above.

Granted, I've only subjected it to light usage so far, but it works fine with my late-2012 Mac Mini. No problems at all.

Be aware that this is a "tray loader", not a "slot loader". I actually prefer the tray loading method.

7. bigcat thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that seems to be a rock solid drive according to reviews. But since what I need does not have to be that portable, I'd prefer a faster drive, knowing it will be heavier and require ac power possibly. That's why I was looking at OWC's 15X and 16X Mercury Pros which are also USB 3.0.

8. Giuly, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  9. Mahty macrumors newbie

B&H has this item on sale for $119.95. I was able to price match at BestBuy.

Some people report successful compatibility with Macs while others are having issues. BestBuy's Holiday Return Period ends on 15 January, so I have some time to see if this item works for me and my Macs.

I may never need the Blu-Ray capabilities, but I'm having trouble convincing myself to buy an Apple SuperDrive. I guess I'd rather spend some extra money just to keep my options open.

10. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I use a slightly older LG external and it works great.

11. RCAFBrat macrumors regular

Just picked up a Pioneer BDR-XD04 for a Christmas gift, 100 CAD at Best Buy. Now officially Mac OS compatible (bundled software maybe?).

Will have to wait to see how it performs. Review at the following link:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401004,00.asp

Would be curious what someone who has first hand experience thinks about it.

Cheers

12. bigcat thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip. I just picked this up as well from BB at B&H price. Will try and rip some blurays this weekend and report back.