Bluray Imminence Revealed?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jasone6, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jasone6 macrumors member

Not sure if I'm making too much of this or not, but I was on Lacie's site looking at this Blueray Drive, when I clicked on the "Specifications" tab and noticed this little tidbit:

"See www.apple.com for the BD player release date"

Thoughts?

2. OneArmedScissor macrumors member

nice find. definitely a sign for speculation...

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Wow. I'm very impressed...

Unfortunately, this has little to do with an internal drive MacPro or MBPro

Attached Files:

4. Random Chaos macrumors member

But if Apple is coming out with a BD Player, then they will hopefully start offering a hardware upgrade for a BD drive. We can hope :)

5. newtech macrumors 6502

I wouldn't read too much into that. Sounds like La Cie is saying they won't be making a BD movie player app available so go bother Apple.

6. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

No, I think LaCie leaked something here (that or the web designer is having a bit of fun, or else just pulling stuff out of his ass). They wouldn't just randomly implicate Apple.

Nice find, btw. You have to have eagle eyes to catch that fine print.

7. jasone6 thread starter macrumors member

It's just my own way of occupying my time until my Mac Pro arrives in 3-5 weeks. :)

8. newtech macrumors 6502

La Cie employees ( marketing division ) defined....

"...A bunch of mindless jerks, who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes...".

9. yesthisisapc macrumors member

The Mac Pro can handle any internal Blu Ray drive, I have my own and have installed several.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

uh huh

i didnt know leopard supported blu-ray just yet

maybe im wrong

11. yesthisisapc macrumors member

Doesn't support burning through disk utility. You have to use a 3rd party program.

--edit--

Doesn't support playing blu-ray movies either.

12. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

pretty sure Leopard supports Blu-Ray drives which you can already buy for a pretty decent price. DVD Studio allows you to create Blu-Ray discs, so they better support BD Writers etc..

i myself am waiting for my Mac Pro, then i'll start researching which drive is the best.. but there's nothing stopping people adding a BD writer/HD-DVD player drive now, rather than waiting for apple to announce some inflated LG SuperDuperDrive with a nice apple logo on the chassis. Adding a 2nd optical is easy as pie.

13. yesthisisapc macrumors member

You can actually even load up blu-ray drives in Tiger. It's mostly in the nature of how harddrives function more than anything.

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

It isn't that simple.

In order to offer Blu-Ray playback at full HD resolution, Apple has to offer HDCP-enabled graphics cards and displays. You can send HDCP over DVI, so that isn't a problem, but unless there was a secret revision at some point that enabled HDCP in the apple cinema displays, you wouldn't be able to use one at all, not even with a blu-ray-capable PC.

It isn't just a software update and an off-the-shelf blu-ray drive.

playing back BR movies on a Mac will require HDCP compliance. hardware.

If it exists on current macs, it is hidden and disabled.

15. philb7777 macrumors newbie

Is that just for commercial blu-ray movies? What if I had a blu-ray drive and a homemade blu-ray disc of hi - def video I recorded with a high def camcorder. Would the ACD's be able to show it at 1080i?

16. yesthisisapc macrumors member

Ugh, I keeo forgetting to mention that. I use my drives primarily for data stuff, not video. You can burn them for data just fine all handy spanky, but for anything else you're SOL.

17. DH Miller macrumors newbie

The version of DVD Studio that is bundled with Final Cut Studio v2 does NOT support BLu-ray - has there been an update?
    d.

18. HD Shooter macrumors member

Wow!

Please do enlighten us how we can burn a BR disk from DVDSP!!! Maybe this was a magical unknown update sort of like the rather quite mac pro update:)

Do tell!

19. HD Shooter macrumors member

Why can Adobe Premier do it?

I have read about the HDCP issue as well. Perhaps with playback of copy protected media it may be an issue. I contend that there are no such hinderances because users of Adobe Premier can edit and deliver 1080 content on BR!!!!

Like the other poster mentioned I want to shoot and deliver NON-COPY protected media on BR... for example home movies, corporate events, weddings, all sorts of event video that when projected on a big screen will benefit from FULL HD!

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Someone's been editing his copy of The Guide... Quit messing around or you'll get your editor's status revoked! :p

Yeah, La Cie has no info. Nothing. It won't happen until Apple says so (or MacRumors/9 to 5 picks it up!).

21. HD Shooter macrumors member

Hey!

I LOVE LACIE man! :) You are like totally harsh bra! Take a chill dude.;) Like you are a mean mean person to say really mean things about a company:mad:

:cool::p;):D:(:eek::confused::):mad::rolleyes:

22. newtech macrumors 6502

When La Cie puts out a quality product worthy of some respect they will get some respect.

Mean- adj. syn. average

"... mostly harmless ..."

"... I am a man of learning and enlightenment, though not what most people would consider civilized ..."

23. HD Shooter macrumors member

Trying to be funny

Newtech,

That was my late night "fan boy mocking" sense of humor.

Although I really do own lacie stuff and feel am happy with it. I have the 500gig external FW800 and a 1TB FW800 drive. Both are rock solid so far.

Now if they crashed and burned all my chit then I would be not so happy.

All the best!

24. newtech macrumors 6502

I put La Cie and Optiarc in the same classification, fecal matter.