Bluray playback on imac through Bootcamp/Windows?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Swift Sketcher, May 9, 2011.

1. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

If I get an external Bluray player/burner, and hook it up to the imac, will it work when in Windows through Bootcamp?

2. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Yes. Although you will need to have suitable software such as the latest PowerDVD to play them back as Windows does not include the relevant codecs etc and they are not free.

However most external blu-ray drives, such as ones from Plextor, include this software.

3. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

Even the new ones? I thaught Target Display Mode, or rather the lack of it, would prevent this...

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Target Display is a must when you plug external Bluray Player via HDMI to DisplayPort using certain adapter (Kanex XD or some sort)

New iMac indeed prevent non Thunderbot peripheral to be used as external source

Not the same case with external bluray drive. It connected via USB, so it´s just like streaming data over USB, you just need the right tool, codec and licensed software to display bluray content on enormous 1440p iMac screen

Which unfortunately, currently not exist on OSX

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

But there's unlicensed software that does it fine to play Blu-Ray movies on OS X.

Not a straight-forward procedure, but it works. More details in this thread.

And yes, it works. Although I have an internal SATA Blu-Ray burner in my Mac Pro, it's no different from using an external device in a USB or Firewire enclosure - something that several iMac owners have used.