BluRay player for rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twietee, Nov 2, 2014.

1. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I have a ton of BR/dvd I'd like to watch, anybody still uses these (lol) and can give me a recommendation for an external drive? I don't need to burn so player only would be fine as well. Thanks! :)

What a pity that the superdrive is dvd only..

2. cynics macrumors G4

BluRay player for rMBP

I have a Sony bluray burner I got on Amazon for 70 bucks (Samsung SE-506CB/RSBD). I know you said you didn't need a burner but it's a quality drive.

That said, playing blurays on a Mac, or any computer has been a fairly poor experience for me. Maybe others will vary but even with what seemed to be quality Bluray playing software (Mac Bluray player) it's very hit and miss.

What software were you planning to use to play your blurays? I'm curious to hear what everyone else is using too.

3. twietee thread starter macrumors 603

twietee

Thanks for your reply. Doesn't matter if they can burn as well, just thought I could save a buck.

And no idea about the software. Annoying to hear it's such a bothersome experience. I get that they prefer to sell movies via iTunes but it's crazy nonetheless.

4. KlytusLord macrumors regular

I've used several of the software players for Mac; the last one being cleverly named "Blu Ray Player." All of them have been horrible, raging in problems from glitchy video to being unable to read disks.

I've given up and simply purchased a PS4 and TV for my home office to watch disks while I work. Using a Mac for the purpose was just too much hassle.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Hypothetically speaking one could use their bluray drive to take the movie they purchased and put it on their hard drive fairly easily.

Hypothetic of course because a person with high moral standards would never do such a despicable thing. (Read that sarcastically while rolling your eyes for effect).

:D