Bluray reader in sawtooth

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jchase2057, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jchase2057 macrumors regular

I need to be able to rip my blurays so that i can put them on my external drive to play on my wdtv. Will a internal bluray reader from owc work in my sawtooth if i add a sata card? I dont need to play hd video just rip it.

Thanks in advance

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It would work, but the ripping would be very, very, slow.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is there any ripping software that'll run on a PPC machine?

4. jchase2057 thread starter macrumors regular

Slow is fine

Slow is fine and any software advice would be nice

thanks

5. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Don't think theres anything legit out there for the ppc,
    but seriously, when Intell said it would be slow, he wasn't talking of a few hours, ripping something that big on a Sawtooth could take over a week.

6. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Longer than a week. My sawtooth falters playing 720p video even under OS 9, ripping bluray under X would be sortof 1 month per DVD - its cheaper and easier to get a faster G4/G5/intel mac. and it will preserve your sanity (Especially since if a rip fails at 90% boom - thats 2 weeks+ of your time).

7. jchase2057 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh ok

External drive it is. Ill just get and external and run it off my girlfriends mbp. Thanks for your help everyone.

8. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

It would not be slow at all with a SATA card added. The FirmTek SATA card I have in my Sawtooth gives me 74-78MB/sec bandwidth consistently. MBbytes.. not Mbits as bluray is rated. It was $70. Blueray bandwidth at the top end is only 54MB/sec. The average is more like 36-48MB/sec. Even at 54MBit it equals just 6.75MBytes a sec. A MBit is 1/8 of a MByte

"Data Transfer Rate: 36 to 48 MBPS (Megabits per Second) average - capable of up to 54 MPS - This exceeds the 19.3 Mbps transfer rate approved for HDTV broadcasts."
    Taken from this page.

My hard drives never go below the high 60's so all the numbers say you will be 100% fine. I love the idea of bluray on a Sawtooth. I use DVD a lot to backup all my video and would love the much bigger size of BR.

9. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^the speed of the drives isn't the issue here, ripping a DVD (even just playing one) on an ancient G4 just ain't feasible, ripping a standard DVD takes forever on that CPU, a blu Ray would take a lifetime.

10. zen.state, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I rip DVD's at 18x all the time on my G4. Each disk only takes 2.5 - 3 min and Toast 9 uses 22% of the CPU max. The average CPU use is maybe 8%.

When I play DVD's on my setup (in sig.) it uses maybe 35% CPU with de-interlacing enabled. De-interlacing is the feature Apple says you need at least a G4 1.6GHz for.

Not sure where you get your data from..

11. jchase2057 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what i thought zenstate

I used to use it all the time to rip dvds. Im thinking 6 to 18 hours not weeks like it said above. After some research i dont see why not. Plus with a sata card i can upgrade from the 120gb drive thats in there now.

12. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Are you talking about taking the whole disc as a large 50 odd GB image rather then use something like handbrake to compress it down, it's the latter which I'm talking about so if you are referring to the former then I apologise, crossed wires, simply taking the movie as a whole shouldn't be too bad.

13. jchase2057 thread starter macrumors regular

The former

The former is the more pressing issue. It takes my sawtooth roughly four hours to compress a 4gb dvd to 700mb. Once the bluray is ripped itll be roughly 40gigs. 10 times the size means 10 times the time for compression so thats 40 hours. Thats not 2 weeks but its pretty long. I have access to more powerful macs for the compression.

14. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Re: Ripping Video on a G4

Maybe not the greatest idea on a 400-500MHz but still very possible. You also don't have to use h.264to get good results. FFmpeg with a resolution of at least 480p and a 1000-1500 bitrate rips in decent time. Looks great also.

My G4 1.8GHz 7448 can rip a DVD to the specs I list above in faster than real time. About 34 frames per sec.

When I rip my MPEG 2 EyeTV videos it does almost 2x realtime. ie. a 1 hour show with ads edited out is normally 42-45 min long. I can rip these in handbrake in about 25 min.

15. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Have you never heard of handbrake?

16. jchase2057 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i have handbrake lol

I have handbrake but will it work with ripping bluray as it does with dvds? Slower obviously but same idea? I thought i read only the latest release supports bluray and is intel only.

17. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

In my experiences HB will rip anything to anything. Even on a really old system. It just may take a while.

18. jchase2057 thread starter macrumors regular

Im gonna go for it. Itll be nice to have the sawtooth up and runnin again. Ps. Your sawtooth looks great.

19. Nermal, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, but its site does not mention that it can be used for direct ripping. Additionally, the download page only lists an Intel version.

20. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I use 0.9.3 which works on PowerPC. The newest version (0.9.5 I think) isn't as good as it only really offers mpeg4 rips. I recommend 0.9.3 to even intel users as it offers better ripping flexibility.

I didn't mean to portray a tone.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My apologies, as I'm sure you're aware it can be difficult to discern tone over text. I'll need to look into Handbrake (it's been a long time since I've used it) as it may reduce my reliance on AnyDVD in Windows.

22. jchase2057 thread starter macrumors regular

I took your tone as informative so no worries. I use the older handbrake on my g4 ibook so that i can rip to avi. its nice to have more options than mp4 and mkv.