Bluray to mp4......

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by RByers8252, Oct 4, 2014.

1. RByers8252 macrumors regular

So I'm just looking for some outside info or help. I have a mid 11' Mac Mini with the i5 processor. I use makeMKV to rip the bluray. I rip the main largest file and DTS track. I then use handbrake, I had been using settings that worked great, great picture quality on my 50 Panasonic with little to no loss in quality and each movie ended up being 2-4GBs max. Here's what I would do.

In handbrake, open the source MKV usually 28-40GBs. I would then change constant quality to 22 and make two audio tracks, one in 5.1 and one in Dolby Pro-Logic 2. In the past this has worked but recently these movies won't sync to my iPhone or iPad but still work fine on Apple TV. I went ahead and have converted a few with the Apple TV3 setting now but files are now coming out to 5-12GBs and I feel like the quality is less than my previous method. Also time to convert went from 3-4 hours to 5-8 hours.

Anything I could do different or is this just what it takes now?

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I'm basically following the same process as you but I've always used the ATV 3 settings on HandBrake and I've never experienced any issues playing the movies on any of my devices. I have to admit, I find it very concerning that iOS devices appear to be having issues playing movies created using the older format settings. You would think that the iOS software would be backwards compatible with older formats. Have you upgraded your iPhone and iPad to the new iOS 8 software? This sounds like it could be a bug with the newer software.

3. RByers8252 thread starter macrumors regular

All devices are on iOS 8. IPad 2, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6+. No problem playing the apple TV 3 settings I just hate the 8 hour converting and 10gb file size.

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Understood but you shouldn't have to re-encode your entire library using the ATV 3 settings in order for the devices running iOS 8 to be able to play them.

5. xp0z3d macrumors regular

Better suggestion, why not use Plex connect on ATV to play your MKVs directly, rather than convert them into mp4

6. RByers8252 thread starter macrumors regular

Because that doesn't help me at all when I'm at a hotel, in my camper, in my office, or away from home.

7. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Once your iTunes library is set up you can access it from anywhere just upload to dropbox, or stream from Plex and you can even have your content streamed to you from the cloud.

8. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Why not just redeem the iTunes digital code that comes with the blu-ray? Saves the trouble of encoding

9. RByers8252 thread starter macrumors regular

I've converted around 140 of my bluerays. Most new ones come with some digital forum but not always downloadable or HD. I'll just stick to the Apple TV 3 setting until something better comes along. Don't really understand how a converted movie can vary from 4gb-13gb though. Also darker scenes can be grainy or pixelated in a few conversions with the Apple TV 3 settings.