Bluray?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Eric8199, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I just got a rMBP recently, and was going to purchase a superdrive for the rare occurrence when I actually need one. However, I started thinking, why don't I get an external Bluray drive instead? So I'm wondering, what is a good solution for Bluray on the Mac? I'm looking for something as portable as the superdrive, but I want to be able to rip Bluray movies. Is there a cost-effective solution for this? I've done a little research and it seems overly complicated.

2. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

3. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha. Thanks. Question: Do I need additional software to watch/rip Blu-Ray movies to my Mac? I have Handbrake, but I thought I needed something else as well. Or will it "just work?"

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

5. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, works well. I particularly like how it launches straight into the movie without making you sit through copyright notices, menus, etc. I've only come across one title that doesn't play (Dollhouse S1); I need to contact support about that some time!

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Then use MakeMKV and then Handbrake to re-compress.

Yep really excellent. I wish Apple had just given us this support directly in DVD-Player but hey ho. The only thing with Mac BluRay Player is that everytime you launch it there seems to be a new update out :D