blurred photos with canon 5D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Que7, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Que7 macrumors newbie

I have a canon 5D and time to time it will take blurred photos. Outdoors and Indoors. Indoors shutter speed is 60 or higher and with flash, outdoors high shutter speed. and its not the whole photo, maybe just part of the face or body. Is anyone else having this problem and HOW DO YOU FIX IT? Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

What lens or lenses with what aperture do you use then?

3. Que7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Blurred photos

I use a canon EF24-105mm F4L lens.

4. mikepro macrumors 6502

Maybe a focus problem? What focus mode are you using? One shot, AI Focus, AI Servo? Do you know the difference between them? Do a bit of googling.

I've found AI Focus often gets it wrong and can lead to blurry photos. I usually use One shot, and recompose, unless my subject is moving a lot, (and/or shooting wide apertures, so narrow depth of field), in which case you might want servo.

Or, use back button focus so you can easily and effectively switch between both?

5. twitch31 macrumors regular

1/60 is far too slow to cope with subject movement

6. Que7 thread starter macrumors newbie

blurred photos

Thanks for the info and I'll check out the focusing modes.

7. Borntorun macrumors member

Google "depth of field" and "aperture" and "focal length".

8. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Do you have another lens you can substitute for the 24-105 to eliminate the possibility of its' being a lens problem? Does the problem occur whether or not the lens IS is on?
    Maybe shutter speeds are too low when you're using flash .Have you tried using Custom Function 3 to fix shutter speed to 1/200 when using flash in Av mode?(I'm assuming you have a Canon flash)

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

10. Que7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am using canon flash and no i dont have another lens. But I will put up example what i mean.

11. simsaladimbamba

How much do you know about photography? A 5D indicates it not just being a side-hobby, but something your love or at least enjoy a bit more than that other thing we dare not to make fun of in order to not piss off that kind of people.

12. Que7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah this is more than a hobby. I work as a pro wedding photographer, been searching for this answer and can't find any that helps. I've seen alot of canon questions on this site so I thought I would try.
    I do love the canon 5D and I do have the 2nd generation of the model, but there are flaws with it.
    As matter of fact the 580EX II has a bad lock system, the flash will actually walk its self off the camera. So I still use the 580EX flash it holds much better.

example will be posted

13. simsaladimbamba

14. ChrisA macrumors G4

If any part of the image is in sharp focus then there is nothing wrong with the camera or the lens. You have simply focused on or allowed the camera to focus the wrong part of the image.

I'd bet a bunch that if you manually focused the lens the problem would go away. No, I'm not saying to always manually focus, most photographers now day can't do that, but try it for a few test shots and see if the problem goes away. If it does then the problem is most likely that the camera is using the wrong autofocus point. The solution is to select the focus point yourself.

15. pprior macrumors 65816

I very seriously doubt anyone working as a "pro wedding photographer" would be asking a question like this.

Post an example.

Have you done any static focus testing? Maybe your lens needs micro adjusted or calibrated?

Without examples, this is worthless.

16. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Depends on the focal length. On a 50mm, it's fine. On a 14mm, it's fine. On a 200, not so much.

focal length = shutter speed.

Keep your shutter speed at least as fast as your focal length.

Example:
    If I shoot a 300, I want 1/320th, not 1/250th.

17. twitch31 macrumors regular

I disagree. What you've explained is to counter camera shake. What I said was to counter subject movement, and people moving in a picture wont be sharp at 1/60 unless they are a long way away.

18. MajkJaro macrumors member

19. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

You're right. Completely read your post wrong. It was late, I was tired.. lol.

20. Borntorun macrumors member

The 24-105 f/4 L is a pretty good general purpose lens. But hardly the first choice for professional wedding photographers.

Me smells a rat here.

21. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Subject movement would be my guess at his point as well, as other have said a photo will help :)

22. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

We really need a sample, but the most likely culprit is SS. Set to Tv, 1/250 and see if it goes away.

23. simsaladimbamba

It seems highly unlikely the OP will ever return, as s/he has lost interest in this thread six days ago and posted his/her last post four days ago.

But then again, I can be proven wrong.

24. Que7 thread starter macrumors newbie

No no I haven't lost interest, I just have alot on my plate. I do appreciate all the advice. I dont only shoot weddings to feed the family I do have a different week job, so I dont have the time to spend on what I would love too. But I have read what you have posted and will try and see what happens. No scam or anthing else trying to be pulled here, just pulled in a billon different ways.

Thank you all.

25. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

It sounds to me like your point-of-focus isn't where you intend it to be. What focus mode are you using? Could the subject have moved further or closer to you since locking focus?