Blurred Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jparker402, Sep 26, 2016.

1. jparker402 macrumors member

Have a new MacBook Air 13 (which I really like) and am exploring the use of the Mac through videos of Tech Talk America. But am having a problem. The video screen that comes up giving the lesson seems blurred. So I decided to expand it to full screen for a better picture, but the blurring is worse. The information is useable, largely because of the precise wording used in describing what is going on. Could not gain much info if I had to rely on reading it on the screen. Can some kind soul suggest what I can do to make this clearer? And please be detailed enough so that a novice can follow! Thanks!!

2. JohnDS macrumors 65816

It sounds like it is a low res video. Do you have the same problem with other videos? Can you post the URL for the video?

3. jparker402 thread starter macrumors member

At the moment I am on my Windows 7 HP Pavilion g series (three or four years old). I pulled up the tutorial I was watching on the MacBook, and it comes in much clearer on the HP. The tutorial is this one: http://techtalkamerica.com/photos-mac-2016/. If it makes a difference, the HP screen is 15", and the computer is about four years old.

4. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Snímek obrazovky 2016-09-27 v 10.38.24.png
    It's an ordinary Youtube video, you should be able to choose your desired resolution. Is it still blurry if you choose 1080p?
    (just click the cogwheel to open the list of resolutions).

5. jparker402 thread starter macrumors member

That fixed it!! Now only wondering why it took a couple tries before selecting 1080 would "stick". But once it did, works great! Thank you!

6. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Okay, so what happened is your MacBook chose to load the low resolution (low quality) version of the video. The Youtube player usually tries to decide which resolution is optimal for your internet connection (as higher quality video needs faster connection). If 1080p works well, your connection is fast enough for 1080p video and the player just made a mistake. Nothing wrong with your MacBook :cool: