Blurring Applications

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freedevil, Feb 22, 2009.

1. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

I got my Imac in 2006. 2.0ghz, 3gb ram, it's running Leopard 10.5.6. The machine is up to date. For the past few months have been noticing blurry things on my screen as the picture below. I ran rember test on the ram do you think it's the memory or some thing else?

ps: I reinstalled leopard 2 days ago

Attached Files:

2. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

I reckon it's the video card. How hot does your iMac usually run and does this always happen with Spaces or does it only happen sometimes? Does anything like this happen with Exposé or Dashboard?

3. freedevil thread starter macrumors 6502a

freedevil

How do i check how hot my imac is running? It does this with applications too. For example below this application an irc client had been quit 5 minutes prior yet it shows up blurred on a different space.

Attached Files:

• irc.jpg
      irc.jpg
      File size:
      370.7 KB
      Views:
  4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It could be a video card going bad or a logic board failing. Do you ever experience lockups of the system in conjunction with the graphical artifacting?(that's what that's called, not blurring)

As for the memory you say you have 3GB of RAM. When did you install extra RAM and did that coincide with when you started seeing the artifacting? Have you tried removing any RAM you installed on your own and just used the Apple RAM to determine if the problem persists? It might be something else to try.

5. freedevil thread starter macrumors 6502a

freedevil

There are no lock ups some random beach balling here and there. The 3 gb ram was put in 2006 as well and no I haven't pulled it out yet as it's a pain in the ass to unplug and unscrew everything. I might just drop by the apple store and have them run some tests on it.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

That might be your best bet. Do you have Applecare on it and is it still in effect? I hope so if it turns out to be a graphics card or logic board. The only "repair" Apple does is full replacement of the logic board.

If the RAM was in there way before the problems started I doubt it's the issue.

Good luck with it.

7. harry454 macrumors 6502

8. freedevil thread starter macrumors 6502a

freedevil

They swapped the video card even stevens. All is well now.