Blurry external monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Yumunum, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I have my 2011 MacBook Air plugged into my new Acer 23" 1080p LED monitor, through a Mini Display Port to HDMI adapter, and then a HDMI cord.

The problem is, things are blurry. It's weird. I can have a line of text look blurry, but the one above it looks better. Then I scroll downwards and now the one on top looks blurry and the one on the bottom looks better, It's like the blurryness isn't spread out evenly.
    This is only on OS X (Lion) though. My Windows 7 partition looks fine and crisp.

I've tried using a different HDMI cable, but that didn't help. I tried changing between 50hz and 60hz (my only options) and that didn't change anything.

Any ideas? Your help is appreciated!

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Have you made sure the resolution is set to 1920x1080? Anything other than that will look blurry.

Are you using the screen for mirroring the internal display, or for extending the desktop? Mirroring the internal display will put undesired constraints on the resolution used.

3. Turtletovar macrumors newbie

I have the same monitor attached to my 2011 Mini. I was using the HDMI out on the Mini to the HDMI input on the monitor. I noticed the slight blur on the screen as well. I then changed to the DVI input on the monitor (using HDMI-to-DVI adapter that was included with Mini) and this corrected the issue. Looks good now. You could try this.

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Ouch, overscan correction gone haywire. That's another classic.

5. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

The resolution is set to "1080p" It's set to extend, not mirror.

So I need to buy a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter? :/ lame. Will there be any negative sides to doing this? (besides spending extra money)