Blurry HP Pavilion 23' with mac mini 2014

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Thunderboltedge, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Thunderboltedge, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Hi,
    I have this monitor connected to my mac mini and it is always giving me a blurry experience. Especially the text is never as crisp as it should be.
    it is connected via HDMI to the mac mini, I disabled on setting the LCD but still not giving me a good experience.
    Is that a problem of connection? On monitor it says HP 23 so it seems to be recognised but still not responding in the way it should.

Any troubleshooting to follow? Any different setting I misconfigured ?

Thanks

2. Pieterr macrumors regular

Since this is a FullHD monitor connected via HDMI, maybe your Mac treats it like a TV instead of a monitor. On TVs sometimes things like "overscan" kick in. Do you see the complete Dock at the bottom, and the complete menu bar at the top of your screen?

You can also try this small utility to select the proper videoresolution.
    http://displaymenu.milchimgemuesefach.de/

3. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

You're right, the first time I connected it, it was not showing the dock, I had to go to resize the screen.
    So this is a sign that the monitor was perceived as a tv by the mac and it's the reason why is showing it so bad?
    In the resolution it gives me the right one, FULL HD, the problem is the way it reproduce it, not so much bad to say I cannot use it, but I can feel something is wrong, the text in the white background does not come out so good as it should.

4. Pieterr macrumors regular

How exactly did you resize the screen? What did you change? Did you make a change on the monitor, or on the Mac?

Did you try the Display Menu tool? (It also works under Yosemite.)

5. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

I did but on my macbook right now.
    on the mini i simply changed the underscale feature in the setting on monitor.
    I am going to download it on that too.

Should I set up the app on a particular configuration to make it recognise the monitor as it should?

6. Pieterr macrumors regular

Just select the 1920x1080 60Hz (or 1080p) setting from the list.

7. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

yes this was already,
    i think there is something else.
    I read somewhere it could the connection with the HDMI, trying with the thunderbolt could improve it.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

What inputs do you have on the back of the HP display?

I would suggest you try connecting from the displayport (actually, the thunderbolt connector on the back of the Mini, but it "doubles" as a displayport connector as well).

If the display has a displayport connector, that is the best option.

If the display has a "DVI" type connector, I think you'd need a displayport-to-DVI cable.

If the display has a VGA connector, you could even use a displayport-to-VGA cable. Some folks will say "you always want to go digital", but you may be surprised at the quality of a VGA connection (worth a try if it gives you a "clearer" display than what you seem to be getting now)....

9. Dandu macrumors regular

10. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

Great Dandu!
    One thing:
    Actually on the monitor preferences i have the option RGB either 1998 or normal RGB and i was selecting by clicking on there.
    You think that even if I found it there it does not respond so this is why I need to go through this procedure?

PS. IT says: A new folder will be created in your home directory. Move it into the /System/Library/Displays/Overrides folder. If Finder tells you that you are overwriting an existing folder, consider backing it up first.

Where is the home directory? is the one with the house image?

11. Dandu macrumors regular

The color profile is different, it's not the problem here.

And yes, the "home" folder is the one with a house on it, with your username.

If you can't see the library folder on it, use the Finder : press the alt key and click "go to" on the menu, and you will see a library folder.

12. Thunderboltedge thread starter macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

I tried this but I did reply "command not found" or similar.

So i could not find anything in the home folder to be moved somewhere else.

13. Dandu macrumors regular

Download the file "patch-edid.rb" on the download folder

Launch terminal

Type : cd ~/Downloads

Type : ruby patch-edid.rb

Normaly, a new folder appear on the Downloads folder

Move it to /System/Library/Displays/Overrides (the system ask for the password)

Reboot