Blurry jpegs!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Spiderhoon, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Spiderhoon macrumors newbie

Okey folks a helping hand!

I use .cbr files and comic book viewer program on my PC. Having just bought a new ipod touch, my brain was ticking how to view the comics on it!

Using winrar i was able to extract the jpegs from the .cbr files, put them into folders then upload the folders thru itunes into the photo section on my ipod touch, they all came up in order with the photo section, allowing me the go between each page(jpeg) nice and fluid. However the only problem occurs when i try and zoom into the pictures, it doesnt focus and becomes blurred.

Going back to the jpegs on my pc they seem to focus fine when zooming in and out(using windows picture viewer)!

Soooo!

Im assuming Itunes/ipod does something to the jpeg perhaps?

Any ideas?????

I've searched thru all the setting on my itunes and ipod and can't find relating the photo at all!

Its starting to drive me mad now!

Please send help, haha!

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

This is nothing you can change unfortunately. The culprit is iTunes.

While syncing the device, iTunes 'optimizes' (basically compresses) the photo files, so Apple can remain to have: 'Holds up to 25.000 photos' or 'Holds up to 35.000 photos' on the iPod touch's specification page, found at Apple.com. By forcing compression through iTunes, before a sync, they can fit more on the flash drive, than normally possible.

It has been debated that Apple should add an option to iTunes preferences which allows the user to turn off compression, but no news officially from Apple.

Thats basically it, in a nut-shell. Your problem is un-solvable. :/

R-Fly

3. Spiderhoon thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! Well thats a bit rubbish , but the search continues!

4. Spiderhoon thread starter macrumors newbie

okay then! What about an alternative program to load the photos onto the ipod touch?

Older versions of Itunes for the ipod photo had an option not to compress(correct??) what about if i used an older version of itunes perhaps, would it reckonise the ipod touch?

5. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Unfortunatley not,

Apparently the drivers needed to recognise an iPhone or iPod touch were only added in this version of iTunes.

R-Fly

6. Spiderhoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again R-fly!

I've just emailed apple as an suggestion/feedback for enhancement to give us option over photo compression in itunes! We shall see eh?