Blurry Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgkimsal, Jul 30, 2011.

1. mgkimsal macrumors member

Help! Anyone ever seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCKhMRV1MZ4

Genius Bar was friendly, but only suggested reinstalling Snow Leopard. I can't find my disk, so I might have to go back there to reinstall (or would moving to 1.6.8 be just as good?).

Also, now and then, starting imovie or screenflow, I get "you don't have quartz composer" (which I do). Rebooting solves that, but that's not really a solution.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Have you installed any haxies? This looks like a software problem--not the kind of thing failing hardware generally does. Check if it does the same thing in another user. If it doesn't, then it's something you have running in your user environment. If it does, then it's something global.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

That is not hardware for sure, definitely software. I'd reinstall SL or Lion if I was you; updating is not a substitute.

4. mgkimsal thread starter macrumors member

This *may* be related to iterm2's 'transparency' functionality. I'm not 100% sure, but have disabled it and will be checking it.

Very frustrating, but hopefully this may be all it is.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yeah, my money would be on it being an unwanted feature of a program you have installed.

6. mgkimsal thread starter macrumors member

I'd been led to think it was a hardware issue for a couple of other reasons:

1. I tried upgrading to an SSD 2 weeks ago - the drive *worked*, but was as slow as the regular drive.

2. During the drive swap, I rebooted via the install DVD, and was greeted with the screen of many languages telling me to reboot - in other words, I couldn't boot from my DVD.

That said, shutting off iterm2 blurring has seemed to take the problem away, meaning it's an ugly bug in that (or at least, that's what it seems to be so far).

Maybe this will help someone else who encounters this at some point :)

7. mgkimsal thread starter macrumors member

From the author of iterm2, after I reported this:

"Yep, I know about this one. I'm hoping to have a fix for it tomorrow!"

So.. culprit found, fix on the way.