Blurry text on Dell Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by angemon89, Aug 8, 2009.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I purchased a dell monitor a few weeks ago (s2409w), but returned it because it had a defect. I was thinking about buying a new monitor, the Dell ST2310, but I recall that on the old monitor text didn't seem as sharp as it did on my PC. It almost seemed a bit blurry.

I had it hooked up to my MacBook Pro via DVI as the main display, running at its native resolution of 1920x1080.

I read somewhere that it may have to do with the monitor's ppi, vs the MacBook's ppi, or something like that. Is there any way to remedy this problem before I buy this new monitor because I'm fearing that it will have the same problem as my old one.

2. Cmu93 macrumors member

Does anyone have any info on this? I have a Asus 24" LCD with HDMI, my Windows PC is hooked up DVI, and I use HDMI from the Macbook...

The Macbook is pushing 1080p, the native rez of the LCD... but it looks terrible. The Windows visual quality just destroys the Macbooks, and I can't figure out why, is a bad HDMI plug, or just something I'm missing in the setup!

Anyone using HDMI out to a LCD from the Macbook?

PS - Not hijacking the OP question, but I think we both have the same kind of problem... didn't want to start a new thread for it.

3. Cmu93 macrumors member

Well, I forgot I bought a VGA adapter as well, so I went mini-dvi to VGA into the Asus, set it for 1080p and it's fantastic! Not sure why the mini-dvi to HDMI is so poor, but I don't really care, this is perfect with the VGA.

T.

4. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

I had mine hooked up via the Mini Displayport --> HDMI adapter from monoprice with an HDMI --> DVI cable. So you're saying that you had the same problem but when you switched to VGA the problem was fixed. Is the text sharp like it's supposed to be or do you still have that problem?

5. Cmu93 macrumors member

Yea, all better. I used the same HDMI adapter from Monoprice, so maybe they are just cheap. The VGA is so much better, I would highly suggest it.