BM Intensity + LCD Tv for monitoring?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macinposh, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

So,putting up a ghetto monitoring/colorcorrecting setup for MP.

I am aware that this is not The Pro setup, but as I am still studying FCP and not yet doing any broadcasting level stuff.

So,thinking going the BM Intensity + maybe Philips 22" FullHD (22PFL5604H W-UXGA) tv route.
    Any other pointers/suggestions out there?
    As the monitor cant be much bigger than the 22" (26" is too big) and most of the 19-23" are actually just computer monitors with tuners, there just dont seem to be that much options?

And as I am using a MP 1.1+Apple ati 4870, the matrox mxo+23" ACD apparently does not work aither due to the incompability issues with the Apple MDP->DVI adapter->MXO->Display. And that setup would be double the price too..

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

if that's the best you can afford, then that's the best you can do...

it'll be better than trying to judge the picture in the FCP Canvas window, but still won't be totally accurate. Your main drawback will be the inability to calibrate the TV well.

3. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep.The calibration will be a challenge,will try to my best with the colorbars etc.Damn budgets. But I will get by with it untill I can justify getting getting a decent setup..

Btw,is there any use of using "monitor calibrators" like spyder etc? Been using them for calibrating monitors for photoshop but no experience with the moving pictures..

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

those will not help with a video monitor, they only for computer monitors. even for computer monitors, they won't calibrate to a video color space.

5. offshoresa65s macrumors member

Hi

I run a BM Intensity Pro and color correct on a Panasonic 32" LCD Full HD TV for around six months now.

I really appreciate the difference that the BM card makes to looking at vision.

A lot of people talk about using off the shelf LCD TV's as being a cheap crappy way of color correcting, but as I can't justify the expense of a true reference TV, this is going to have to do.

Having said all that, I really don't know how accurately I have calibrated the Panny.

Matrox cards / products apparently provide true calibration tools for your every day LCD / Plasma TV's.

I live in Australia and six months ago the the Australian $1 was only worth US$0.65 and electronic gear was really expensive, so I just went with the cheap option of the BM card.

Now the Australian $1 is around US$0.92 and if the pundits are correct could reach US parity and or up to US$1.10.

My point being that a card of any description be it BM / AJA Kona / Matrox products is a must for editing and color correcting.

So as these things become cheaper I'm leaning toward a Matrox MXO2 LE.

Just my opinion anyway, good luck

Offshore

Mac Pro
    FCS2

6. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers guys.

I am now leaning heavily towards the matrox mxo 2 with MAX.
    Around there it is only about 400€ more expensive and has the MAX for h.264 encoding,and apparently, has better RT rendering support for FCP as well.

A side note. The said philips 22" has a wuxga panel (1920x1080p) panel but the wiki states that "wuxga" is 1920x1200. Can the panels vary or what?
    My main concern is that the display I buy,will do some kind of in-the-box scaling wich means I would loose the pixel-by-pixel accuracy wich I am after.

Or in this case,if I would go the matrox route,would it be more feasible to go apple 23" route wich many people has found to be "The" monitor to go with the matrox boxes?