BMB or low-end 15" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SodiumBenzoate, Mar 15, 2008.

1. SodiumBenzoate macrumors regular

Kind of a tough decision for me..

Most of the time, I won't need the GPU power of the MBP. I'll have access to a desktop more often than not. However, it would be "nice" (not necessary) if I could play games while on trips, etc. I don't play The Sims 2 or generally any other low-requirement games, so that essentially rules out the MB for that activity.

How do the MB and MBP compare in terms of:

-portability (especially for owners of both - is the slight extra size/weight of the MBP ever a reason you take the MB with you instead?)
    -durability (I've heard issues of cracks with MBs and dents with MBPs?)
    -battery life
    -keyboard, screen quality
    -any general thoughts

Thanks!

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'd get a MBP no question. It just feels (and looks) like a far superior machine (yes, I compared them side-by-side, not in store, but at home). 15" MBPs are sweet.

1) MB isnt significantly more portable than 15"MBP and weight varies just slightly.
    2) MBP feels like a more solid machine, also more scratch-resistant than MBs
    3) MB's should be slightly more, but notby much
    4) I prefer MB style KB, but backlighting in MBP is just a sooooo nice and useful feature, so MBP > MB. Screen in MB is poor, MBP is great. Compare them side-by-side and you'll see. Not only its significantly bigger, but much, much higher quality.

Hope this helps :)

3. kwfl macrumors 6502

i'd go for the MBP
    it has a dedicated graphics card which makes it good for games or an graphics stuff.

4. palmerized macrumors regular

hands down, go for the macbook pro. the extra screen real estate, video card make a big difference. the led screen is SO nice too. imo, the form-factor of the pro is still one of the nicest laptops on the market.

this is like "do i get a fully loaded jetta or base BMW..."

:)

5. knockknock macrumors member

knockknock

Macbook pro without a doubt.The black mb you are paying more because is just black. If you had said the white mb then...:rolleyes:

Go with the mbpro. It has the FW800 and EXPRESS CARD expandabilty-esata anyone:D

6. EB66 macrumors 6502

im kind of in the same boat as you and im leaning towards the mbp if that means anything to you... i just don't like the macbook screens at all

7. El Phantasmo macrumors member

the MB is an awesome machine.. the only difference is the GPU and screen/keyboard, if you are not going to play games and plan on using it with an external display, the performance wont be very noticeable....

save the $500 and get an ipod touch with the money