Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
dpaanlka said:
You must not be what I would classify a "car enthusiest" to make such a statement...
not really.... i just like luxury and when you put luxury and excellence together you get.... :D

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
Price-performance wise nothing beats an Evo :D Cars are supposed to be fun, responsive, agile, quick... Anyway, I am not a luxury car type kind of guy. I prefer raw performance, handling, and simple interiors where when I am driving I don't have to even look at the dash board to change a radio station or adjust climate control, sometimes simple is just better... These days some cars look like spaceships on the inside, so much unnecessary buttons and clutter...

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
blitzkrieg79 said:
Price-performance wise nothing beats an Evo

Yeah... 30 grand for an ultra cheap economy car with a high output turbo and springs. Thats an immense waste of money. You'll learn one day to desire a refined car, not just a fast car. You'll want a car designed from the ground up for performance, not just a modified economy car.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
blitzkrieg79 said:
Price-performance wise nothing beats an Evo :D Cars are supposed to be fun, responsive, agile, quick... Anyway, I am not a luxury car type kind of guy. I prefer raw performance, handling, and simple interiors where when I am driving I don't have to even look at the dash board to change a radio station or adjust climate control, sometimes simple is just better... These days some cars look like spaceships on the inside, so much unnecessary buttons and clutter...

You really never have driven a BMW have you?

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Ouch. I like my house thank you!

I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with your house. I was eluding to the fact that priorities seemed a bit skewed there.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Hoef said:
those of you who ride a 7 series .... you lease or own?

Alright, maybe this is a dumb question but what are the up/down sides of leasing a car? How does this compare to buying one (and making payments of course)?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
blitzkrieg79 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv157ZIInUk

Picture2.png

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Stridder44 said:
Alright, maybe this is a dumb question but what are the up/down sides of leasing a car? How does this compare to buying one (and making payments of course)?

The most obvious one is you get to keep it...
& that is also the only reason I know..haha.

Oh, and if you drive too many miles a year you don't have to pay.

i.e.: when you get a lease on a car you can drive 12,000 a year...
& if you drive 12,001 then you pay a fee.

if you own it then you can drive all you want.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Stridder44 said:
It all depends on your situation, such as:

- How many miles do you drive per year?

- Is the car used for business?

- etc.

So there is no set answer for everyone. It depends...

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Just a followup on that Lexus comment--They are quiet, comfortable cars...but they are only dressed-up Toyotas. The Lexus LS (current version) has the same exposed airbag door on the passenger-side dashboard as a 14k Toyota Corolla...sad.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
sushi said:
It all depends on your situation, such as:

- How many miles do you drive per year?

- Is the car used for business?

- etc.

So there is no set answer for everyone. It depends...

Ah, I see. Many thanks!

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
dpaanlka said:
Yeah... 30 grand for an ultra cheap economy car with a high output turbo and springs. Thats an immense waste of money. You'll learn one day to desire a refined car, not just a fast car. You'll want a car designed from the ground up for performance, not just a modified economy car.

Actually I never drove the 7 series but I did drive the 3 and 5 series and all in all from drivers perspective (I am an automotive enthusiast), none of them had the handling, acceleration, nor better grip of the road than an Evo IX, not even close. That car is like a glue, sticking to the road.

And although it is based upon an economy car frame it definately doesn't drive like one. I know different people have different tastes, and my taste if for rally bred, raw performance, great handling cars. I don't need any navigation systems nor dual digital climate controls. And reliability/quality wise Germans are not as good as they used to be.

And please don't bring VW GTi to the discussion board. That car can't compete with EVO nor STI. Although their commercials are top totch.

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
My firm represents BMW here in our area and trust me, we don;t get any complaints from the BMW 7 series owners but we get all sorts of s**t from the 3 series owners and an occasional complaint about the Z4.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
2006 BMW:
3003_300.jpg

2004 Pontiac Bonneville:
pontiac-bonneville04.jpg

Notice a resemblance :p
Pretty much any of the new cars by Bangle I don't like.
I would love to get a 2005 M3 Convertible, but past that, the rest of the lineup just looks like an american car.
I would much rather have the Audi S8 then any 7 series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.