BMW Brings iPad to the backseat

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JakRox, Sep 21, 2010.

1. JakRox macrumors member

2. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Not a bad implement, the new generation X3 looks much better too than the current version.

3. 184550 Guest

Very interesting. I wonder if there are any accessory makers who have taken advantage of this and designed a bracket attachment for any vehicles headrests?

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

And that is why when it comes to automobiles; BMW > All.

5. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

6. b.c. macrumors 6502

7. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

8. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

It took it looks from it's bigger brothers X5 and X6. Similar grills too....including to those of the 5 and 7 series.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Will the X5 have this though? Would be weird if the X5 and X6 and their ///M variants didn't have it....

10. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Very nice. I'll wait ten years for one of these overpriced and over rated cars and get it for 5% of the price of a new one. One of the greatest wastes of money known to mankind, new cars but especially BMW's

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'll reframe from climbing through my iPad and killing you but I can tell you've obviously never been in a nice BMW....I would take a 2 year old 328i over anything the USA could pump out. They are not nearly as overrated as Mercedes Benz and they are not overpriced, they are quality. My dad ran his 3 into the ground, some 250,000 miles and NOT one engine issue, the electronics had some minor issues a few times but still. You could say the same thing about apple when compared to some of the ******** brands...

12. Perihelion macrumors regular

Hah, in the back of my MINI, the iPad would look like a 32" flat panel TV.

13. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Now is that a good or bad thing? :)

14. md63 macrumors 6502

15. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Believe me I've driven many Bmws in my day. I currently drive a landcuiser costing as much as most bmws, so I had the option of buying one. The point of driving them with 250k miles on it is not such a big deal. Most if not all modern cars will happily reach that figure. The cost of servicing a bmw compared to most other cars at a dealers is two or three times as much. Up to 800 euros for a service. Brake discs, tyres all costing at leas 200 percent more than most cars. There are still a few people left whomare happy to pay for a badge, be it bmw or mercedes

16. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

Here in the US we get complimentary service up to 4yrs./50K miles which includes all brake components and most other wear and tear items too. After that, they can be more expensive, but the smart Bimmer owner will then find a good independant mechanic who will do the work for half the cost. Besides that, you have to pay to play. There are very few cars that have the same driving dynamics as a BMW, it's just that simple. And of the few that do provide the same overall driving experience, most will cost far more than a BMW.

If a car is simply for moving between A and B, then a BMW will probably be lost on those folks. However, there are still some people out there that like to actually drive.

Plus, it's nice to see them partner so nicely with Apple too.

17. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Typical really. They build the things in Europe and give you a better deal in the states. Still, the best of luck to you. With 60mph speed limits strictly enforced in Ireland with penalty points for any infringements, a BMW is about as much use here as the preverbial ashtray on motorbike job

18. kcdude macrumors regular

The article is a little unclear how/if they will integrate it with the current iDrive setup. BMW already has some nice integration options with iphones for music/calls. I'd like to see what they have in mind with the iPad...controlling movie playback from the iDrive? Email on your iDrive screen via 3G...etc.