BMW changes gear (AKA BMW finally sees the light)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Jan 17, 2008.

1. iGav macrumors G3

And releases a 7 speed DSG type 'box dubbed BMW 'M Double-Clutch Transmission' (M DCT). :D

And the more important bit... ;)

Can only mean one thing... The manual is dead! :D

BMW beat the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse :D

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

And here I thought you were going to announce that BMW has finally given up on iDrive . . .

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

mmmmm, moist.

4. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

I wish I had the money to get a car like this. I miss my manuel but a lot of the times when I had one, I also missed the ease of not shifting haha... it sucks living in a small town where old people drive in between gears... >_<

Anyways good for BMW I still would rather have a porsche, but this looks like the new thing of the future, Auto + paddle + stick shifting = bliss.

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Because a dual-clutch sequential manual gearbox has such smooth shifts even in automatic mode, there are rumors that BMW may replace the conventional automatics in all their models with this new gearbox over the next several years.

As a result, don't be surprised that when the new E92 M3 coupé arrives in the USA around June 2008 it will have this new transmission as an option.

6. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I'm sure I remember you posting an extremely similar a little while ago.

While it may be faster, it's definitely not going to kill the manual for some time. Some people (I'm undecided, I go on a car by car basis) prefer to drive a manual over an auto or semi-manual. The DIY croud, if you will. The sort of people who'd prefer an F40 over an Enzo.

7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I did indeed, but it's only now that BMW are officially confirming it.

I'm going to stick my neck out, but I think this could well be the last iteration of the M3 with a manual gearbox as standard, I think even possibly the last ever with a manual at all.