BMW iPhone Bluetooth Paring Instructions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JustGretchen, Jun 20, 2009.

1. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

These are instructions on how to pair iphone bluetooth with BMW vehicles.

I discovered how exactly to do this on my own after searching for over an hour online with no results on how to actually do it.

BMW's iDrive system basically sucks. BMW's manual on how to pair phones with the iDrive/BMW Bluetooth basically suck.

So this is what to do:
    1. Go into the bluetooth settings on the BMW iDrive system and get yourself to the screen where is says "device connectivity is available on this screen" or something to that effect.

2. Enable bluetooth on your iPhone and let the iPhone find the car. In my case it found "BMW51327".

3. Choose the BMW vehicle that you found and you will be promted to enter a passcode. This is where it gets tricky because the BMW manual doesn't say ANYTHING about this step....On any other normal bluetooth paring I've ever seen, the side you're trying to pair with displays a passcode you should puch into your phone to pair, or vice versa... That is not the case with BMW's system.

4. You make up your own 6 digit passcode...It apparently HAS to be 6 digits, no more no less, for BMW. I just chose 123456 and typed that into my iPhone. Then the BMW instantly saw the phone and asked if i'd like to add a device. I chose yes, and then the iDrive prompted me for a password, so again, I put 123456 on the BMW side now, and then hit the idrive knob up to choose to confirm it.

5. The iPhone was now connected and worked flawlessly. It takes about 30-40 seconds for the phone to show up once the car is started when I leave and come back, but as long as BT on the iPhone is on it will work.

I hope this helps anyone who has been struggling with this. I can confirm it works on 2.2.1 and 3.0. I have a 2006 X3 and 2007 530i that this procedure worked flawlessly on.

2. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Good summary for those that have never done it before (since the instructions aren't clear at all).

One upgrade. On the new improved iDrive in 2009, you can use a four digit code, and you can enter it on the phone first, and then use the 'dial' on iDrive to enter it.

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Good timing:

I had no issues with my gen1 on my 05 M3. However after picking up the 3GS, it had some issues.

For those who need help w/o the iDrive:

Put key ignition to position A (first click)
    turn BT on in settings
    Wait for discovery on iPhone
    When iPhone discovers put in 4 digit code in your manual (it is on the BT card)
    When pared, turn key to position 2 and phonebook will load.

It actually is a little more temperamental than the Gen1, but after messing around for a bit, it functions flawlessly.

4. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Tigres, you can use any bluetooth pairing number. It's just so you are in control of both ends before it accepts it. :)

5. noplay91 macrumors newbie

Ok guys I figured it out. I was experiencing the same issue with my 645ci. All u have to do is go to the bluetooth screen and start the pairing process. Now... Whatever four digit pin u put in the phone make sure u enter the same four digit pin in the bluetooth in ur car. Rather u pick 0000 or 1234 (its ur choice the car does not have a preset passkey). After u enter the pass key select "confirm passkey". That will do it.

6. Fivegaitd macrumors newbie

7. Chirogrant macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2016 ---
    Thanks for your helpful instructions. I am considering buying an 2007 530i but I really need to be able to play my music and audio books from my iPhone through the sound system. Will I be able to do that or is it just the call functions that I will be able to use once the Bluetooth is paired?

Thanks for you time.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

It entirely depends on the options selected when the car was originally purchased.

9. Chirogrant macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll find out.

10. Brian knill macrumors newbie

Brian knill

--- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2017 ---
    Cheers, thank you worked perfectly...
    Regards
    Brian