BNC 75 ohm coax cable and ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dobro03, Feb 28, 2011.

1. dobro03 macrumors member

I need to get an ethernet connection 150 feet from my computer room. I want to run a remote laptop in this new area. Wireless is too slow so I want to get an ethernet hookup. This is in an old house, so I can't run any new ethernet cables w/o major construction issues.

In the new room where I want to get this ethernet connection, I do have 75 ohm coax video cable runs already in place for running security cameras and also older 3/4" video machines. This panel has bnc connectors.

If I buy a coax to ethernet adapter, will this work. Is coax/cable TV cable the same as the older 75 ohm video cable? So could I find a bnc to cable TV coax adapter for this?

Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nonsense. The dominant factor capping your Internet speed is the service tier purchased from your carrier not your LAN speed. Your computer cannot swamp a wireless connection.

3. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

I'm trying to run a remote laptop to run some music software and the lag time with my wireless connection via Airport Extreme was way too long. This is via a VNC type remote connection. When I brought my laptop in my main computer room and hooked it up by hardwire ethernet to the AE, the lag time was almost gone.....

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

5. dobro03 thread starter macrumors member

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Are you sure that they are BNC connectors? Video would be much more common using RJ59 or RJ6 with F-connectors. Both have a 75 ohm impedance.

BNC can be used with RJ59 cable (75 ohm)... but is more commonly used with 50 ohm cable.

BNC was popular about 20 years ago for 10BASE2 ethernet and it used 50 ohm cables.

If you in fact have RJ59 or RJ6 75 ohm cable. One easy and relatively good connection would be to use a MoCA. They are much more robust than powerline adapters... and much better than wireless. They typically deliver 200-300 Mb/s with pretty low latency. MoCA self configures and is trivial to set up.

/Jim

----------

That is only true for traffic that is leaving your LAN out to the WAN. Data transfer within the house (Home Theater, streaming music, streaming video, NAS storage, NAS backup) is all independent of your carrier.

/Jim

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The early 90ies called and want their 10BASE-2 to 10BASE-T converters back. They were missing since 1996, and as it turned out, they have been hiding in Turkey.

Well, 150MB/s 802.11n and modern 200MB/s powerline adapters make this stuff highly obsolete, though.