BNIB Macbook pro - Sketchy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vorbb, Oct 17, 2010.

1. vorbb macrumors member

Does this seem sketchy to you? It seems like an awfully good price, but it's tough to say. I'd hate to pass this up, but I also don't *really* wanna buy stolen property or anything.

Price: $1,520

"Brand new in box Macbook Pro 15-inch 2.66GHz
    Never opened!! Got it as a gift but don't need it.
    3 YEAR APPLE CARE WARRANTY!

Some more spec.:

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    4MB shared
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    500GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
    512MB GDDR3
    15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1440-by-900 resolution
    One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps), two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps), SD card slot"

2. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

GDDR3 = graphics memory

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh... right. Well it's still a scam.

4. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks.

Anyone else?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Considering that the retail price is $ 2199, I highly doubt this is a legit offer. Even if it was a gift, why cut the price by $600?

6. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I agree, best to just wal away.

Always remember the old saying, if it seems too good to be true, it most likely is....

7. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I agree with PhelpsPhan. You already have your doubts so the question is, will you risk $1500 to determine whether it is a scam or not.

I personally would not take the risk. Get it on amazon and pay no tax or get a refurbished on apple's website if you want to save money.

8. vorbb thread starter macrumors member

Thought you guys could use a laugh. I sent an email probing, and here was the response:

"I'm actually in Toronto, ON now (relocated for work) but overnight shipping is included in the price, UPS or FedEx, and insurance/tracking is also included.

If you use eBay I'd like to do it that way, so we're both protected and can exchange feedback later. You will be covered by $2000 buyer protection
    and get 90 days money back guarantee.

I just need your name and eBay ID, once I set it up with eBay they'll confirm it with you and then we're good to go, even if you don't use eBay now I can set it up.

It will be set up for WU payment which is instant so I can ship same day. My sister works for them and gets the fee back so I will cover the fee.

Just go to http://www.westernunion.com/info/agentInquiryIntl.asp and find their agent close to you

Let me know when you do that and I can send you all details and instructions."

Funny how he relocated across the county in less then six hours after posting the ad. His email is pokas582@gmail.com, and he was selling the laptops for various prices on various Canadian sites, randing from $1200 to $1800.