Board Games

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by darwen, May 21, 2010.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I have been playing a lot of Ludo lately on the iPad. I really enjoy board/card games with my friends and love the possibilities with the iPad. I recently saw the game Small World on the iPad and am just getting into it for the first time. Are there other board games out there I am missing? I feel developers should really start cranking some out because they work really well!

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

This might belong to the apps forum, but I agree. I want board games.

3. ukyo229 Guest

There is a game called "might and card" you may enjoy.

I think trading card games could have a good market in the iPad too. Such as Magic the Gathering, Warhammer Invasion, Warcraft TCG, and the popular Japanese ones.
    If done correctly of course, with nice presentation.

Perhaps even turnbased games based on Warhammer ect. It would be cool for those who enjoy that stuff.

4. wyneken macrumors regular

Two words for you, bro: SMALL WORLD. German-style family strategy game. If that sort of thing appeals to you.

5. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

Yeah, I mentioned Small World in my original post. I am really liking the game. It would be nice to see some A.I. for it though. I want to see more games like this.

@ukyo299 : I agree! I don't want to sound too nerdy, but I was considering Magic back when I first heard the device announced. It could be done the same way as the scrabble app. Personally, I'd also like to see Munchkin.

6. Arcflup macrumors newbie

7. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

My favorite board games are Domino Touch and WarChess.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I think it is only a matter of time before the iPhone version of Monopoly will be offered for iPad as well. And yes, Risk would be nice. Used to play it years ago and it was always enjoyable to play a game or two.

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I'd LOVE to see an iPad specific version of Monopoly :D

10. John Paul macrumors member

For Risk lovers, you should check out the game Strategery. It's not quite as complex as Risk but it's that general type of idea. Doesn't use "real" world maps but randomly generated ones, so you never see the same map twice. There's a lite version you can try for free (though that is still only iPhone-sized), and then the full version is only $1.99 and is made for the iPad.

11. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

I'm looking forward to Carcassonne coming out for the iPad.

12. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Game is endorsed by G. Dubya.

13. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Cribbage, poker, euchre, rummy and mancola would be good.

14. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I want online multiplayer board games so I can satisfy my sadistic desire for humiliating real people.

UNO Is one, but I hear that it is quite broken?

15. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

+1

I used to play Magic all of the time back in the day, but I moved away from all my friends who play. This would be a killer!

16. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

I have Uno, It works but is sometimes slow...

17. vw195 macrumors 6502

Words with Friends HD is alot of fun in a similar vein.

18. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

I too hope for more board games, specially the German ones like adding AI to small worlds and carcassonne (is that really coming or wishful thinking?).

One to check out, as pixel doubled it is fuzzyish but more playable than on the iPhone, is Settlers of Catan. Many say it is the best board game of all time. I hope they update it as a universal to get better graphics, but the playability is so good as is it is one of my favorite games on the iPad!

Tree

19. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

Forgot to mention that "Honey, that's mine" isn't too bad, and neither is Reiner's "Money"

20. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

21. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

22. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

Well Carcassonne for iPhone is out now. Downloading as I type!!! They say it will be a universal so thought I had better grab it, though it is going to be a painful few months(?) until the iPad version is out.

Guess dominion wars HD and lux deluxe (soon supposedly) will help pass the time. :)

Edited to add: wow, it is great!!! Pixel doubling actually isn't too shabby. Still no substitute for iPad native that they are working in, but not too shabby at all!!!!

23. spectre51 macrumors 6502

spectre51

Just bought it as well. Dominion looks good. Got that one as well. How's it compare to lux?

24. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

Dominion is a strange beast. Graphically it is good for Risk style game. Lux is better on the web or iphone for playability, so I suspect it will be for the iPad, but Dominion has its place. The interface seemed clunky to my way of thinking, at first, but now it doesn't, and games are very enjoyable. They say push notifications are coming soon which will make the multiplayer a lot more practical.

I need to check out conqueror club, warfish.net, and landgrab from the iPad to see if those sites work on it.