boarding pass on ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lickinstick, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Lickinstick macrumors newbie

hi.

if i get ipod touch 5th generation, can i use it for delta boarding pass for flying to mexico? or do i only must use iphone 5's?

im not citizen but im in usa legally.

2. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Nope

I tried on the sixth of October in Marseille, France and they would NOT accept it. I was late for the flight and my ticket back to the US became null and void and I had to pay $1275 for a ticket the NEXT day home.

3. Lickinstick thread starter macrumors newbie

that's very bad. what was the airline? delta?

4. palmharbor macrumors 6502

U S Air working with Luthansa from France to Munich then to Philadelphia
    then to Tampa.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

That's why I stick to paper. It's easy to get the boarding pass at the airport from the kiosk machine.

6. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Delta has mobile boarding but some airlines do not accept it yet as they need special scanners for it. I know it works it Jacksonville Atlanta international.

7. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I use boarding passes on my iPhone but always keep a paper copy just incase. I'm super paranoid when I travel (turn up at the airport mega early, multiple copies of travel documents etc).

On my last trip I lost my iPhone and was glad I had the printed copies.

8. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

I fly a lot with work and I find it's entirely dependant on the airline on if they accept electronic boarding passes or not, so I always carry the paper version.

The iPod touch is a great device though, I'd have it regardless of the ability of having boarding passes or not.

Alex

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Don't they need a different scanner to read a mobile device screen?

I wish they did - I get tired of all the things stuck on my physical keychain..grocery..hardware..library..drugstore..

10. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

The Touch is extremely light and thin. But still not so much as a sheet of paper. Love my Touch, but come TSA/airline time its paper all the way.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I recently flew from US coast to coast and back and used Passbook for boarding passes all the way through TSA security and boarding gates for three flights each way. TSA and the boarding gates all scanned my iPhone with the same scanner they used for people with a paper boarding pass. This was United Airlines. I was chatting with a TSA officer and he said some airlines are not linked in to this yet, so it sounds like more of a software implementation issue.

For those that have not used it, Passbook is integrated very nicely into iOS7. As your next flight time approaches the boarding pass for that flight appears on the lock screen and can be accessed with just a swipe on the boarding pass icon. When you go to board the second flight the pass from the first flight is gone and the pass for the second flight is now on the lock screen, and so on. Very easy to use. TSA and airline staff seemed very familiar with it and I breezed right through.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Seems ridiculous that they would not accept their own electronic boarding pass due to an issue on THEIR end, then make you pay for a whole new ticket due to THEIR screwup.

EDIT: Nevermind, noticed the answer in a followup post. This is insane. I guess I'll stay away from these airlines. How dare they make you pay for a new ticket due to THEIR mistake?? WTF!!

13. palmharbor macrumors 6502

Ticket

The Airline was US Air....actually they offered to sell me a new ticket to get back to the US for a mere $3000, instead, I got a ticket home on Lufthansa
    for $1200, but my ticket was null in void. US Air is a horrible airline from the gate in San Francisco where the employees yell at you as if you were cattle going into a box car....to the twenty year old plane...to flight attendants who would turn on and off the lights on full during the flight to Bruxelles.
    I suggest that if US Air is less money...pay the extra money and find someone else...Like Lufthansa.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm confused..couldn't they just re-print your boarding pass at the gate?

15. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

16. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

If it works on the iPhone, it should work in the iPod Touch.

It's not as airline-dependent as it is airport-dependent.

I mean, it depends on the airport and the technology they implement on the security lines first, and only then, the airline chooses how to scan your boarding pass (in paper, electronic or both).

For example, when I fly KLM or AirFrance and board in BCN, there is no problem with the electronic boarding pass, even in my wife's BlackBerry, the QR code works in the pre-security lines checkup, in the airline lounge and the boarding gate (this last 2 are the airline's responsibility). But, when flying the same airlines but boarding in México city, the QR code is accepted 1 out of 3 times.

So, I would say it depends more on the airport you're boarding in, than the airline you're flying.

17. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

Dang. I hope you got justice at least. Did you not have a paper version?

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I work for a global airline. I have never, ever heard of somethings that have been said in this thread.

1) Boarding passes are not device specific - if you have it pulled up or have connection to the internet (wifi), it makes no difference if you pull it up on an iPhone or an iPod touch.

2) Most airlines offer digital boarding passes. Some don't, but most do. However, as another poster mentioned, it really does come down to specific airports - some have the technology for scanning these digital boarding passes, others do not. Most major airports are capabale of using this, but definitely check beforehand.

3) If you have a digital boarding pass, but a paper one is required, there will either be kiosks or ticket counters located both before and after security. There is 100% no way that user Palmharbor could not have gone to a ticket agent and had a physical boarding pass printed.

This thread is just strange.

19. mreed911 macrumors member

You're missing this statement: "I was late for the flight."

The person missed their flight. By no-showing, the ticket was cancelled. The airline is under no obligation to reinstate it beyond the value minus any change penalty, but since legs had already been flown it was probably worth zero at that point.

If you're going to miss a flight, always, always, always call the airline ahead of time and let them know so they can at least note it in your PNR and you have a shot at being rebooked on a later flight, even at the expense of a change fee.

This goes DOUBLE when you're ticketed on one airline but flying on another.

20. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Ah, you see, I did read that, but for some reason interpreted it as the poster saying they were late for the flight because they wouldn't accept the digital boarding pass..

What you said makes much more sense :cool:

And yes, as you said, if you're going to be late, try to alert somebody ahead of time, otherwise things like this happen and there's really no one else to blame but yourself.

21. palmharbor macrumors 6502

I was going through Security at the time in Marseille...the right way, the wrong way and the French way.