Boarding Passes on the Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Chupa Chupa, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

This is an interesting concept but I'm unsure how it works in practicality. When I use an e-Boarding Pass on my phone I give my phone to the TSA guard, he checks my name on my ID to my boarding pass and then scans my phone.

So how does the TSA guard check one's name on the ticket to their ID if you don't take off the watch so they can read your screen?

Or is this not for security but rather just boarding and you'd still use your phone for going through security?

2. musiddiqui macrumors member

Few times I have used e-boarding passes, I scan my phone and only hand the TSA officer my ID for him to check. Never saw anyone else hand their phone to the officer either. Should work the same way with the watch.

3. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

You don't hand your phone to the TSA agent. When you scan it your boarding pass, a screen behind the scanner populates with the relevant information they need to cross check it against your ID.

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I've never handed my phone to the TSA screener or to the gate agent. In fact, you probably shouldn't hand ANY stranger an item that costs > $500 to replace.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Neither have I. They’ve never even asked me to hand them my phone.

Now, the issue I have is scanning the boarding pass. Because at the airport a few days ago, the reader required me to hold my phone face-down. That’s going to be kind of awkward twisting your wrist around.

6. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I tried the Delta boarding pass on an Android wear watch and it was difficult to get it to scan because of the small size of the barcode.

7. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

iPhones have a good enough screen to scan at the airport. The numerous times I have used passbook, it's always been very reliable. TSA isn't allowed to touch/operate your phone however so I normally had to swipe to the different boarding passes to show them the correct ones. The IR scanners they use at the airport can scan IPS displays quite well but I have noticed that a lot of Android AMOLED variant users tend to have issues scanning unless the brightness is up on their phone. The apple watch should be ok to scan unless the scanner has something on top to block your wrist.

8. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Can't wait to see the look on TSA agents' face when people tell them: "But Tim told me I could just show you my Watch." Bwahahahaha

9. urda, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015

urda Suspended

urda

You'll be waiting a long time to see that then.

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Passbook also automatically pumps the brightness all the way up.