Boat ride and activity rings

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Neutral Milk, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Neutral Milk macrumors regular

Neutral Milk

My last post was controversial and made people upset with me, hopefully this one will be less so (although I might be labeled a cheater!)

I went on a fishing trip on my cousin's 26 ft fishing boat with two 225 motors. I'm going to give a lot of details to provide context for those that might want it (I know little to nothing about boats personally). We went at about 30 mph and went about 20 nautical miles. Seas were only 2 ft and the ride was mildly bumpy.

All this is to say by 9am I had "burned" 200 active calories, had received credit for all my standing (I was seated) and got 12 mins of exercise. By the time we got back at 4:30 I had all my activity rings filled but 2 standing hours.

The bouncing of the boat clearly registered as activity. I'm not complaining because I wanted a lazy day and would have had to come up with some way to get my rings. The night before I walked around the outside of the house for 40 mins before bed to get my calories.

Anyway, just thought people might find it interesting/useful if they're planning a boat trip.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My riding diesel Toro mower does the same thing and uses much less fuel.

3. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

It takes me 2+ hours to mow my lawn using a riding lawn mower and I wear my apple watch. It does seem to register some activity but not that much - probably not enough bouncing. Previous, I had the UP24 and it would register my lawn mowing as 5 miles of walking so the watch is less sensitive than the UP24.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Yep mine does not register that much either but it is great to control my music on my noise canceling headphones without having to pull out the phone.

5. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

off roading/rock climbing in the truck counts as serious exercise and is more fun than fishing