Bob Barker Retiring After 50 Years on TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Oct 31, 2006.

?

Do you watch The Price is Right?

1. Most of the time

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Sometimes

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. Nope

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 31) - Bob Barker is heading toward his last showcase, his final "Come on down." The silver-haired daytime-TV icon is retiring in June, he told The Associated Press Tuesday.

"I will be 83 years old on December 12," he said, "and I've decided to retire while I'm still young."

Though he has been considering retirement for "at least 10 years," Barker said he has so much fun doing the show that he hasn't been able to leave.

"I've gone on and on and on to this ancient age because I've enjoyed it," he said. "I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm going to miss it."

Reaching dual milestones, 50 years on television and 35 with "Price," made this an "appropriate" time to retire, Barker said. Besides, hosting the daily CBS program - in which contestants chosen from the crowd "come on down" to compete for "showcases" that include trips, appliances and new cars - is "demanding physically and mentally," he said.

"I'm just reaching the age where the constant effort to be there and do the show physically is a lot for me," he said. "I might be able to do the show another year, but better (to leave) a year too soon than a year too late."

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

NO!!

The Price is Right is an American Institution! It's already suffering because of Rod Roddy's untimely departure (Rest in peace, rod!!)
    With Bob Barker gone, who has the moral suasion to have the nation remember to get their pets spayed and neutered?
    WHO??

the PiR won't be the same. No one can be as great as Bob Barker.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I remember they tried an afternoon version once but without Bob it wasn't the same and failed terribly. I don't know if the show will last once Bob is gone.

4. imacintel macrumors 68000

5. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Didn't they say that about Chuck Woolery when Pat Sajak took over? :p

Once you buy a prize, it's yours to keep.

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

So, when Bob Barker started ... did he come from an era where people still knew what a barker is? Like, were barkers regularly spoken of?

I'll miss 'ol Bob, too, though a part of me really feels like he should have to play some sort of game of chance (Plinko, maybe) to win his retirement.

8. danidoll521 macrumors regular

I don't see how the show can go on without Bob Barker...he is "Mr. Price is Right" No one could take over for him, it just won't be the same.

9. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

seeing adam sandler get his ass kicked by bob barker is still one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. good stuff!

bob will be missed indeed.

10. richmon22 macrumors member

Bob Barker Retiring After 50 Years on TV

i cant believe Bob Barker is retiring.

i loved the price is right and it just will not be the same with out him.
    i also find it amazing how fit he is for his age!

here's the link
    http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=262183&GT1=7703

i guess i will be wachin' tv on the 16 and 17!

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't really watch the show, but I've heard bob is a good host.

12. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

The Price is Right was a staple of TV on days I was home sick from school. Good times, good times.

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I was just thinking of this thread earlier, Bob Barker's last PIR taping is June 6.

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

He's having a million dollar prize spectacular!!!!!

I watched today. As he told me to spay and neuter my pet population, a silent tear slid down my cheek. No one else has the sheer awesomeness to tell people to spay/neuter and actually have people heed it and not look like a dummy.

Oh, Bob. Bob Barker.

I should totally replace him. I can get all melodramatic when someone loses at plinko.

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Have they found a replacement yet, I don't think I can watch the show after Bob retires. Nobody will have his charisma.

Just curious but where did the poll come from, I don't remember starting one. Was it in the merge?

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

As opposed to a tear that screams bloody murder while sliding down your cheek?

17. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yes.

THAT tear came down my cheek when Cameron said "no!" to Chase on House.
    He's british! And a doctor! And über-cute! Nooooo!

18. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Haven't seen it since sometime during highschool, 5 yrs ago. I was actually thinking about when Bob was actually going to retire. He is already so old, I thought he'd do the show till the Reaper came. He probably really liked his job.

19. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

To be honest, I could never stand TPiR. But, I'll only watch it when I'm home from school sick, too. I'm more of a Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Jeopardy! fan. But Bob can't be replaced.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Um, Katie? I know you love your accented men and all but he's Australian! :p :D

As for Bob Barker... that's a shame but it was bound to happen one day. The show won't be the same at all. :(
    Little semi-related factoid: did you know they have a price is right in the UK? It's really weird to watch, I felt like I was in the twilight zone and had to turn it off. :eek: :p

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I never could understand the appeal of the show either. Bob Barker should get credit for being a good host and for his longevity, but the show....

22. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

So its Bob Barker's final week and it started off with maybe the best showcase showdown ever. The first dude comes to within $800 and thinks he's won. The the girl comes to within $47 and wins both showcases. Just 4 more episodes.