Bob Lefsetz thinks Apple needs to can Jimmy Iovine

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Rogifan, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Can't say I disagree with anything in this post but Apple paid $3B for the guy, he's not going anywhere. According to John Gruber the Beats deal was all Eddy Cue. So my question is, what made Eddy Cue think Jimmy Iovine and the Beats team would be a good fit at Apple and would be able to deliver a superior streaming music experience? It's not like Beats Music had a huge subscriber base or some superior technology. And Apple certainly didn't/doesn't need Beats headphones. And now you have Zane Lowe saying he's not sure Apple Music even needs a live radio component.

More and more it just seems like a waste of $3B. $3B that Apple could have spent buying up smaller pieces of technology to build into a superior service or could have used to blow up the bloated mess that is iTunes and build something much better rather than just bolting on Apple Music and creating even more bloat. I really do question Eddy's judgement here and wonder if there was anyone inside Apple arguing against this or that had reservations or was Eddy able to do a snow job on the rest of the executive team like Jimmy Iovine did on him.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2015/10/01/jimmy-iovine-2/

2. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Thanks @Rogifan, I dislocated my neck from nodding too vigorously ;)

Do you have a link to Lowe saying Apple might not need live radio? I'd love to read that. (If my neck can take more.)

3. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Apple needs to re-boot the Beats audio line of products - or call them something totally different. They are just grabbing whatever they can from the buyout.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I'd rather they spin it off. They'll never call it something else because the Beats name/brand is what's valuable. But Apple doesn't need it. And honestly they don't need Iovine, Dre or Trent Reznor either. Just write it off as a bad investment. They're not the first and certainly won't be the last company to make a bad bet.