Bobby no longer on speaking terms with Siri...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Bobby Corwen, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Id rather just do things manually. Even if it takes longer. I just never seem to have enough energy to want to talk.

I don't even like the sound of my own voice.

You guys know what I am trying to express here? Its like, voice commands, ARE NOT the future. Neither on Apple TV nor on phones, iPads, or computers.

Its just a matter of the vegetative mental state, (focused, concentrating) that we are in that is counterintuitive to "breaking the silence" and talking. Its like the opposite of when you are rowdy or playing sports and you're talking to everyone and yelling. They are just two completely different mental states. Its like you put yourself in a baby coma and all you want to do is flick a finger or slightly slide a wrist here and there -- At the MOST.

I can say "Computer, switch to iCal" right now and it will pop up if I wanted to. But I will still be more likely to just go click on it. I have attempted to train myself to use voice commands and its just overall a no-go. Never used voice control, not using Siri, tried to use voice commands on OSX, just doesn't happen.

Nothing beats keyboard shortcuts. Nothing.

Bonus Keyboard shortcut list: http://is.gd/VG0FO8

2. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

It's gimmicky for some and useful to others. I use it all the time.

3. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I agree, but some people really enjoy this stuff.

4. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Driving, or always in general? What if other people are in the room? Or nearby?

5. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Another example is like when even voice commands worked for iPod to say "previous track" or "play songs by."

I remember Ive said "previous track" into the mic while listening to songs around the house, and when I would say it out loud my Dad would look up from whatever he was doing and wonder if I was talking to him.

So first of all that bothers him, and second of all it attracts unwanted attention to me. (Im trying to enjoy the groove and his sudden awareness of me takes me out of my groove)

It seems petty but it is a significant issue. It really reduces the amount of scenarios and places that voice commands become "preferred" in.

Id rather just pull the phone out, unlock it, put my code in, go to Music Player and change tracks manually rather than disrupt my privacy bubble.

6. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I completely agree. This is why I had zero desire to upgrade and still have my launch day 4.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

The title of your thread reminds me of that Seinfeld episode "The Jimmy"

Anyway,after using Siri for ~2 months after I got my 4S, i too have found that I almost always do things manually nowadays.

8. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

I don't have self-confidence issues nor do I care what other people think of me while I'm saying voice commands into a phone. Most people either give me a strange glance or they say, "Hey that's so cool!" I don't care either way.

9. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

10. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Also, I would imagine that someone with a family presence in their household such as a large family with siblings would be a lot less likely to use it compared to someone who lives completely solo.

11. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

What you imagine and what actually occurs are two separate things.

12. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok, well you're cool then.

Most people would be afraid, but not you, you're brave.

Who cares what people think right? Most people are sheep and puppets and are worried about what another man thinks of them. But not you, you rebel.

You really sound like you don't give a DAMN what people around you think of you.

Yup. You're definitely cool...

13. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Zing.

14. oBMTo macrumors 6502