Bodega is completely superior to the Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macmaster24, Feb 8, 2011.

1. macmaster24 macrumors member

With Bodega's larger selection, free trials for all applications available for download, and easy to use tools blow the App Store out of the water in my opinion. Comments?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, its DOA.

It will be unable to compete with Apple's Mac App store. I never heard about this place until an earlier thread here mentioned it.

So most consumers don't know about it, but they do know about MAS, apple provides a lot of polish, ease of use and integration that is missing in Bodega.

Its only a matter of time before bodega is a relic of the past, and if you want to count the inventory of apps, I suspect that MAS will eclipse bodega at some point as well.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I heard about Bodega a long time ago but never bothered really using it. I've used the Mac App Store a little bit, but not much.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

5. zenio macrumors 6502

The mac app store is just one more income stream for apple and a boost for my stock. Beyond that it's of no interest to me.

6. macmaster24 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly!

7. EmmEff macrumors regular

Having never heard of it until now, I think that speaks volumes about how "good" it is...

8. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

First time I've heard of it. I love the MacAppStore. I've found some very nice stuff there and have spent more on stuff then I thought I would. I love the updating, and the ease of use. I don't have time searching for things, now it's all where I want it to be. I'm convinced I'll buy almost everything there now.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe so, and I'm not disagreeing with you, but most people, including myself will go to MAS. The future does not look well for bodega.

Besides, while this is a revenue stream for apple, is that wrong? If so why would it be ok for bodega to make money.

For apple's cut, they provide a lot of services, that I wonder if bodega does. I mean does bodega host the apps, promote, help with conflicts with other developers (copying apps), ensure there's no malware, etc

10. walshlink macrumors regular

MAS is a godsend...it is a wonder Micro$h!t didn't do this a long time ago.

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Because somebody would have sued them until Kingdom Come for abusing their OS monopoly to build another monopoly.

The company behind Bodega should also sue Apple for exactly the same reasons. Apple are illegaly using their platform monopoly to establish a monopoly for digital application distribution.

Just like Microsoft was forced in Europe to give the users a choice to install alternate web browsers, Apple should be forced to offer alternatives to:

1. The Mac AppStore. Read: If the MacAppStore is pre-installed, then customers should also get a choice to install and use Bodega instead of the Mac AppStore. Furthermore, if people do not want to use the Mac AppStore, Bodega should be integrated into the Apple Menu and the Dock instead.

2. Apple should be forced to offer alternatives to iTunes and the iTunes store. Procedure exactly as above.

3. Apple should be forced to offer alternatives to Safari, procedure exactly as above.

4. And while we're at it, QuickTime and the iApps should receive the same treatment.

And please spare us the "Apple does not have a monopoly" nonsense argument. They DO have a monopoly in their ecosystem, and Apple DOES own the tablet market and they are also the strongest player in the smartphone market. Whatever rules apply to Microsoft, they also apply to Apple.

So why again do people know about and use the Mac AppStore? BECAUSE IT COMES PRE-INSTALLED ON THEIR COMPUTERS. Not because the Mac AppStore is ah-so good. Not because there is marketing behind it. Because it's already there. And the fact that it is already there is because Apple uses the very same illegal business practices that Microsoft used back in the day when everybody called them the Evil Empire.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You already have a choice, it's called Windows and Linux.

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

+1

i'm not sure about all of your points but the general principle that rules apply for Apple AND Microsoft equally. Currently Apple can point to their low marketshare and get away with it. However in the long run there should be a separation of OS, Applications and Distribution to avoid the establishment of an anti-competitive situation that needs to be broken up in years long court trials. This usually just sucks for customers, competitors, developers and in the end for the company in question.

14. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

And Burger King should offer McDonald's fries. Down with Monopolies!

:rolleyes:

15. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

No, EU went after MS because not only did it come preinstalled, but it was REQUIRED, unremovable, and prevented other browsers from working.

You can, download Bodega, drag the AppStore off the dock and put Bodega there.. problem solved.

Yup, see above, it isn't hard to do.

Firefox, and Chrome are freely available and usable.

There are many other players out there, go get one.

Yeah, because they created it. Last year they had 99% of the Tablet market, so far this year they are down to something like 77% ... and this with competitors just starting to show up. They are going to lose tons of market share -- where they end up, we don't know.
    Nope, Andorid is #1 it passed iPhone in January. RIM is also hanging in there.

Sorry, no. You are right that it is there. But it is easy to remove and replace with anything you want. This is unlike what MS did; they prevented removal and prevented competitors from running.

16. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

But McDonalds Monopoly is so much fun to play!