Bodily donations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Legolamb, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I put myself down as a potential bone marrow donor. I met the criteria,
    they took mouth swabs, and was asked to sign a form that I would try to be
    avialable if the need arose. I'm pretty confident of my ability to actually go
    through with it, should I be called.

I'm not the bravest animal in the shed, but feel ok with this, and don't judge others who, for whatever reason, would not do something like this. For example, I don't think I'd voluntarily donate my kidney to a stranger, and yet people do. What do you think? Any of you go beyond giving blood?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I considered donating my body to science after I'm gone, but I decided against it.

I'll give blood when I'm old enough, but that's it.

3. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I do apheresis every 2 weeks (now that you have done the tissue typing you can too) and I am registered for bone marrow donation and would probably do a kidney if needed.

I understand people not wanting to do it (it takes time and is a pain) but at the same time with little to no possible harm to ones self most people have the abiltiy through bone marrow or apheresis to easily and directly save somemones life.

4. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Just yesterday I have tried to donate blood but I have NOT passed the criteria. So much for being European :( (I was told that it is a risk that I might have a Mad Cow disease :confused: , :eek: )

So that would pretty much prevent from donating anything else.

Travel Outside of U.S., Immigration (American Red Cross)

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

when I die, medicine and science can use my body anyway they want, I don't see a reason to fill the ground up with people, when we could do something with the bodys, serve a purpose.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

How does one sign up to be a bone marrow donor? If I'm someone's match, I'd absolutely love to help. I know that marrow donation isn't as easy and simple as donating blood, but it's so incredibly needed. With MD Anderson just down the street from me, I'm sure I'd be called on at some point. I'd feel so honored to have the opportunity to help another fellow human being.
    Every time I give blood, it involves 3 or 4 trips down to the bank.. First time I try, my iron is usually low, then 2nd time, it's too thick.. it's annoying.

Why? You won't be using it anymore...

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I give blood regularly and I'm a registered organ donor should I become brain dead...can't say I'm too keen on bone marrow or kidney donation though. :eek:

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

First have your bone marrow collected THEN see if you want to sign up as a bone marrow donor. The only procedure that is more painful in my opinion is a spinal tap.

I do not donate blood nor am I on any organ donor lists.
    I feel that science will strive more to create sythetic blood and organs when there isnt a cheap supply of used parts.
    I have no problems with cloning organs in vats from own tissue. having another persons parts in me - not so much.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I have already donated parts of my body to HIV research... they weren't doing me much good, anyhow.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Actually, I'd love to be a donor for plastination (www.bodyworlds.com); I figure I couldn't look any weirder or worse that way than I do in life...

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've got the little "organ donor" sticker on my driver's license, that's about it.

they won't let me donate blood. I guess I'm dirty.

12. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

I've only given blood once (hemoglobin levels are usually not high enough). I hope to be able to donate milk at some point in the future, should I have an excessive supply.

Good for you, legolamb. I know marrow donation is a very important thing.

13. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

if you donate blood at a redcross they can sign you up. what I did to get on the list was apheresis. The first time you donate platelets, plasma, hemoglobin, etc. they do a tissue typing which is also good for bone marrow tissue typing. If you don't do apheresis there is a 50-60 dollar charge in which you undergo apheresis for tissue typing. You do not have to give a bone marrow sample to be typed for bone marrow donation.

14. angelneo macrumors 68000

There was once when I went for blood donation and I was waiting for my turn. There's this girl who was already having her blood drawn. Out of the blue, she started seizing, the needle came off, and blood started spurting. I was just sitting only about 5m away. Everyone was shocked, nurses came running, i think there's injection and stopping of bleed, and they quickly move the girl somewhere else. That was a memorable (in a bad sense) blood donation.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My body's a free-for-all when I'm gone. For now, I just donate blood.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Given what I've put through my body I doubt anyone would any of my bits, I do have a*donor card though, I don't really care what they do with me when I eventually kick it.

17. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I thought about having my head cut off and put in deep freeze for when future medicine can revive me and put me on a robot.

My organs will be donated.

the rest of my body will then be used for a macabre play i'm having commissioned upon my death in which my empty shell of a body will be mummified, turned into a marionette puppet, and play a major part in a play i've written entitled "The Flowers Bloom Upon The Dusty Well Of My Psyche".

18. mpw Guest

I'd be more than happy for anybody* to use any part of me to help out once I'm done with it, although not sure what would be of any use as I'm not exactly a careful owner. I don't think I can give blood 'n stuff as I had cancer, I should probably look into that. I also looked into one place that was offering £50 a time for sperm donation, but the T&C put me off.

*offer excludes the French

19. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

**Sees thread title**

**resists posting filth**

20. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

what's T&C?

21. mpw Guest

Terms & Conditions.

Stuff like no drinking(72hrs prior to donation) or smoking I could handle, but no sex or masturbation for a week before!!

22. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

yeah, i'm out now as well. If I stopped for money, i'd be guilty of reverse-prostitution! no way!

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Cash in hand?