Body color in sunshine?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by T-Bob, Jun 6, 2016.

1. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Got the space grey and have had to stop using it quite a few times due to overheating. Would the slightly lighter silver fare any better? Also thinking its not great for L-ion batteries to get too hot as well anyway. I did used to use the rmbp in similar situations but the fan was enough.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

It shouldn't make a significant difference. What types of programs are you running? If you are overheating it may be that you are pushing the CPU too much, but it should throttle before it overheats. Do you have any utilities or patches that override the power management system?

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

A non-darker device may not store as much heat from its surroundings, I'd ask Apple.

4. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Have you got a case on it or not using it on a flat hard surface ?

My wife had similar issues using her rMB on a cushion, on her lap

5. T-Bob thread starter macrumors 6502

T-Bob

I have tried without case and with a leather case, doesn't make much difference. I have had overheating while web browsing and tried again yesterday with slightly less sun and was watching a video. Within about 30 minutes the heat warning came up, first throttling then warning it would have to sleep soon so shut it down. I think its definitely the metal absorbing the rays as the air temp wasn't very high.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I doubt a shinier colour will help much for your scenario other than maybe a few mins more before shutdown

You want a little stroller umbrella to protect it :) :D