BodyGuardz Obstructing GPS Feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shinenjk, Aug 5, 2008.

1. shinenjk macrumors regular

Before installing BodyGuardz, GPS was able to pin point my house location exactly with a blue dot when I sat in front of my computer in my room. It was also true at work when I sat at my desk - GPS found my location with no problem. But after installing BodyGuardz, I noticed that it can't do this anymore. It only works when I'm outside which I guess is good enough but still, it kinda annoys me that BodyGuardz interferes with GPS reception. I guess you win some, lose some - can't have it all. :eek:

Anyone have a similar experience?

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

You know... you are posting this the day after the iPhone 2.0.1 update where some users are talking about different GPS results. Not ruling out the Bodyguardz, but I've had it for a week on my phone and its been just fine under a low coverage area.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The GPS reception is very very weak on these devices so when you have cover, it will shield it. Sometimes however it's weather that can affect your signal, not just some protection.

4. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

O no, this has nothing to do with the iPhone update. I noticed the change after I applied BodyGuardz couple days ago. This software update shouldn't affect your GPS/3G reception at all - it's all in your head.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Wow, that's a first for me. I'm running WiFi at my house and though I'm without 3G, Edge has shown improvement with regards to speed. I try to take my iPhone out of the case on a daily basis, but especially when I get home. Does the "blue dot" show up at all at home or at work? Do you think it can be the house or the building you work in?:confused:

6. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, just needed a confirmation. Ah I miss watching google maps pin point my location with a blue dot when I'm sitting in my room. You can't disagree that it's addicting to watch that GPS feature track you down lol.

7. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Nah nothing's changed besides adding BodyGuardz to my iPhone. I even had a 8G iPhone that I turned in for 16G, and both were able to find me with a blue dot when I was at work or at home.

With 8G I obviously returned it without installing BodyGuardz so I don't know what would've happened, but with my current 16G, this is my only plausible explanation as to why GPS can't locate me anymore when I'm at work/home. GPS does seem to be pretty sensitive so I wouldn't be surprised if it's my shield interfering with it. But like I said, it works perfectly as soon as I step outside so it's not a big deal.

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I have BSE on mine and it is still very accurate. Sitting in my bedroom it pinpointed me withing about 30 ft. I'm guessing mostly due to my wifi since even my stand-alone gps can't get a signal inside the house.

But driving to work the other day it was almost dead on. For 80% of the drive it even showed the correct side of the highway which is about as accurate as I can get w/ my Garmin Nuvi (sometimes it thinks I'm on the access road when I'm actually on the highway or vice versa.)

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely captivating to the point that I might need a 12-Step Program... LOL I was watching my "blue dot" as my wife backed out of a parking stall at the Mall last night and got a little too excited for my wife's liking. :p

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

it's a sheet of .7mm thick plastic... it isnt interrupting anything that the vinyl, glass, fiberglass, drywall, steel, electric fields, and tar isnt.

:rolleyes: it's all in YOUR head ;)

edit: SF, same story here ;). some people just can't appreciate fine technology :D

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I guess I need to correct myself....blue dot means GPS lock right? I guess that means I am getting GPS signal in my bedroom....wow.

Yeah, after my first post I was laying in bed and just watching the dot move around. It started at the far opposite side of the driveway, then moved closer just outside the house but very close to my bed, then moved over by the neighbors house, then back toward the back bedroom but still in the driveway between the houses, then it came right over my bedroom, then right over the bed!!! It either stayed there or I started falling asleep and just stopped paying attention.

Either way, it's interesting how it keeps moving around while I'm sitting still. I don't think my Garmin Nuvi does that.

And agreed, a .7mm thick piece of vinyl isn't going to add any additional interference to the plastic housing, wood, drywall, brick, and tar shingles.

12. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

How can somebody possibly think this. WHEN you have REAL proof then I might believe this, but probably not.