iPad Bodyguardz Pure Screen Protector

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by daudi81, Jan 27, 2014.

1. daudi81, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

daudi81 macrumors regular

I've always been hesitant with screen protectors, because I HATE the way they feel. Once I heard about these tempered glass things, I figured I'd try it out.

Anyway, I just installed the Bodyguardz Pure for my iPad Air, and it's freakin awesome. Feels just as good as the original screen, you can't even tell it's there. It's thick, so it does add a tiny amount of weight, but it's very negligible for me.

It also recesses the home button more than I'd like, but they give you buttons, which I installed and they work perfectly. I ordered an aluminum button from Mime since the ones that came with Bodyguards is kind of plasticky (still feels nice).

It's very scratch resistant. My wife thought I was crazy, but I really wanted to know if it resisted scratches as advertised, and ran my exacto knife across it (pressed pretty hard), dropped a remote on it, keys, coins, you name it. No scratches. I have heard that sand will scratch it, so I didn't push my luck.

As a bonus, I just found out their headquarters is literally down the street from me (Utah), and they offered to refund my overnight shipping.

Update: I bought the mime feather+ for my wife's 5s, and was curious to see how it felt compared to the bodyguardz. I'm happy to say that I prefer the bodyguardz glass on the iPad Air. However, when the Pure needs to be replaced on my 5S, I will probably get the feather+ since it's thinner and makes the home button easier to press. The thick glass on the 5S kind of hurts the functionality of the home button since you can't install an aftermarket one (unless you want to lose the fingerprint sensor), you're stuck with the 'ultra-recessed' button after a thick tempered glass install. It's not an issue for the iPad Air since you can get an aftermarket button. Overall feel on the bodyguardz is better though. If they can make a thinner glass + keep the same feel/strength it would be a huge win for the 5S.

2. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Love mine, too!!! Be sure to post how the Mime aluminum button is with the Pure. I'd love to put a button on my Air, but I've found that the Smart Cover or any other case with a cover can depress the button if it sticks out too far. :)

3. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

The mime button is so much better - real aluminum so it looks AND feels very high end, not to mention it makes the ipad look more unique.

It doesn't stick out at all, since the bodyguardz screen is pretty thick, the button is more or less flush. That's why you kind of need an aftermarket button if you have these glass screens. The stock home button is in too far and is a bit harder to press.

They also have a few colors to choose from for the button, and I think I'm going to order the red one next (I've got a white ipad + silver button), since my smart cover is the red color - it would look pretty slick! Not sure why I didn't do that to begin with.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

I am pretty sure its not different than the original glass for scratches.