Bodyguardz ScreenGuardz Back/Sides Short Review: HD & Macro Shots

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by brokenbuyer, Nov 1, 2012.

1. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

Bodyguardz Screenguardz
    Back/Sides​

Please see the Bodyguardz Pure photos and review here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1480532

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Review:

Overall this deserves an A. It protects the back/sides from scratches and paint wear, but pretty much nothing else. The back is missing about 1mm on each side which is kind of annoying.

The sticker cutout on the bottom (speakers) could be better, as it looks weird cutting off, leaving less protection as well.

Under certain light you can see the orange peel/wave texture, however you can hardly feel it. You can definitely see/feel something there, but like the Pure, my fingers can easily slide around them when needed. Love the grip it gives tho.

The volume buttons/power buttons line up well, as does the SIM card slot. Like all skins, they do not protect the bevel/chamfered edge, so I am getting some silver on that.

Lint does collect on it occasionally, but it's hardly a problem.

One issue I found was that the camera cutout tends to move/can move if you want. If you push hard enough, the camera cutout area is thin and can slide around.

The skin gives a little bit of grip, but not really noticeable in your hands. When it's on surfaces, it gives a bit more grip. If your hands are wet, the phone also sticks to you.

This is not a much have item (unlike the Bodyguardz Pure). I have looked into the two-tones ********** skin and that seems to offer a bit more protector and looks. It is more pricey at $30 with no replacements/warranty, but looks great.

If you are looking to protect your chamfered sides/paint, then this is NOT what you want for full protection. If you want GENERAL side/back protection, then go ahead.

I'm extremely minimalistic so I started with the skins for my phone, but it's all preference.

Now we just need some minimalistic skin to protect the chamfered edge to come out... Or a chamfered edge repair kit.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Thanx for the pix and review! But man the back and side protectors look like the same material of the invisibleshield! Which i dislike, because it gets yellow eventually! :(

3. golfgrouch macrumors member

I have the same film on my iPhone, and the lack of bottom protection is a big drawback to me. If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the BSE film because it has a full bottom film piece.

4. brokenbuyer thread starter macrumors regular

No problem.
    It doesn't seem to yellow that quickly.

InvisibleSHIELD has a terrible orange feel texture compared to this. Definitely a difference.

I might be getting the BSE film soon. Either that (for clear) or ********** for the two-tone skin.

At $9 for back and sides, the BSE is a fantastic deal.
    Anyone know of reviews/photos of the BSE?

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

I have the BG skin as well, and for me it has been great. As far as grip goes, it does help a bit compared to a naked phone. Before I applied the skin, my phone nearly slipped out of my hands a couple of times.

I did have the front as well, but hated it so I got the pure (which is unreal!)

Now I am "IN" with Bodyguardz so I get very cheap replacements. I got a warranty replacement a couple of days ago and my replacement pure screen + back/sides only cost me $18 shipped.

Edit: Forgot to mention that after a few weeks of use, my edges are still scratch free, so no problems there. I have a slight concern that the back is not protected for the last 1mm of each side.

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

7. brokenbuyer thread starter macrumors regular

Bump!
    Installation was fairly easy. The wet apply on the back allowed for easy adjustments.

The sides were harder (dry), but I was still apply to peel them off and reapply. When the sides got dirty from my fingers, I would just use some solution and wet that spot, same thing with lint/dust.

Not a problem at all.

8. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

I don't like how they cut the pieces for the side band at all. It should be one large piece that wraps the entire band instead of bits and pieces. The one corner where two pieces meet looks bad IMO.

9. brokenbuyer thread starter macrumors regular

I have to agreed with you here.
    May get a new one later on. Maybe a BSE or Sticker Boy

10. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

I have iCarbons on my iPhone 5 and it is one big piece that meets PERFECTLY when the two halves meet. You cannot even tell where the seam is...the rest of the cutouts are precise as well. By looking at my phone, you can't even tell there is a wrap on the band.