Boeing 787 Unveiled

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Jul 9, 2007.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The most advanced airliner in history was rolled out yesterday. I know there are some aviation buffs around here... so enjoy these. Gorgeous!

1233664.jpg
    1233662.jpg
    1233663.jpg
    1233653.jpg
    1233546.jpg

http://www.newairplane.com/787/

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

3. Turkish macrumors 6502

Interested in the theory behind the jagged trailing edges on the engine nacelle.

Interesting wing design, also.

Hopefully they can get it properly tested and launched in 8 months...

4. Queso macrumors G4

I'm all for this. If it can actually provide the projected fuel savings over current designs, there's a big reduction in aviation's carbon emissions right there.

Although I have to ask why the enormous noise about that when electricity generation is by far the worst offender carbon wise. A 10% reduction in the generator's emissions would offset aviation entirely.

Still, every little bit counts :)

5. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

The most advanced airliner in history? Wait till the Airbus fanboys read that!

I think it'd be a good debate both the A380 and the 787 have advanced airliner technology. I like the way they both took a different approach to the next gen airliner.

I wonder whether you can fit the wings of an 787 onto an A380:D

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Why is Boeing introducing a new small capacity aircraft? Isn't the 777 good enough? And surely this wont affect the sad, unfortunate A-380 at all?

7. Turkish macrumors 6502

Different aircraft with different routes (777 vs. 787). The 777 is also 13 years old (not that old in aircraft terms, but carriers demanded a different design). The 777 is also technically a 300+ market plane, where the 787 is a 200-300 plane.

Airbus' answer to the 787 is the A350, by the way (due in 2013).

8. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

The Airbus CEO actually sent a letter to Boeing's CEO congratulating Boeing on the success the 787 has already had.

787 already has well over 600 pre-orders. Guess that speaks for itself...

9. mpw Guest

What a lovely new plane to be treated like cattle in.....once it eventually f***ing arrives!:mad:

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I remember reading about this in 4th grade.

And now I'm in 9th. Where the hell was it, took them long enough.:rolleyes:

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

So what is so advance about this plane? And I don't really care about the emission savings, I care more about what is in the cabin and how it makes my flight better.

12. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

its like 40% lighter than any plane in its class, so well it efficient.

its made from carbon fiber, and it's wings are shaped in such a way that reduces drag. It's a cool plane to look at in person.

13. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In addition to the weight savings that leads to fuel efficiency and reduced emissions, there are some creature comforts. The plane will be more highly pressurized (~6000 ft. altitude equivalent instead of the current ~8000 ft. equivalent) and the humidity can be higher as the potential for corrosion is greatly reduced with the new materials. Windows will be larger if you like to look out at the world around you. LED lighting throughout for better quality and energy savings. Noise reduction technologies. And much, much more! ;)

14. adk macrumors 68000

adk

You're complaining because it took them five years to design one of the world's most complex machines out a material (carbon fiber) that has never been attempted in an large airplane before?

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm not complaining. note the:rolleyes:.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Carbon fiber composite is the material of choice for airplanes these days (lighter, more aerodynamic due to the lack of rivets and more shaping options), but long-term durability questions remain. Boeing is taking something of a risk placing markers on carbon fiber. It's not exactly untried and untested technology, but it doesn't have the known track-record of aluminum.

It does make for some very pretty airplanes, that's for sure.

[​IMG]

17. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

OMG, I can't believe that plane landed on all those people! :eek:

Seriously, she's a beauty.

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

It isn't really a small-capacity aircraft; it's medium-capacity. It's a versatile aircraft which should work well for many US domestic and international routes. I'm certain it will be a far more successful aircraft than the Airbus.

A lot of research and development has gone into the 787 and its carbon fiber materials. I doubt there will be any significant long-term issues. We're light-years ahead of the days of the disasterous design issues with the early de Havilland Comets.

BTW, Cirrus build awesome airplanes. I'd love to have one of my own, but that won't happen any time soon. :)

19. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Glad to see they also have the passengers in mind.

20. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

[1] This is a rather selfish attitude.
    [2] Those wings look like the shape of a bird when gliding, using nature to aid design?

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I wonder if planes will really change in design / appearance in the next 200 years? Looks like the same old stuff. At least cars are changing gradually at the decade level.

22. powerdave macrumors regular

As far as I know, the jagged edged 'chevron' on the engine cowls are a noise reduction device. I believe this is due to the way the exhaust and bypass gases are combined with the airflow once they leave the engine, the jagged edge design seems to mix the hot and cold gases in a more efficient manner, reducing the noise that's caused as a reaction. Looks cool too.

It should be a fantastic aeroplane, and it has a good head start on the equivalent Airbus which is about 5 years down the line. The 787's use of materials definitely makes it very advanced, it'll be really interesting to see how they hold up in service compared with aluminium. Composites like those used in the 787 have great qualities but are very difficult and expensive to repair... I wonder how they're going to deal with that.

There are some crazy looking concepts out there but manufacturers are sticking to what they know- it's easier and cheaper to build a tube and attach wings to it than anything else. Although it doesn't look like there's been much evolution, the real gains since earlier passenger aircraft have been in safety with more redundant systems, much better reliability and greater efficiency at the same time.

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I just realized today that the date of its rollout was 7-8-07 :eek:

and I even live in the same city

24. mpw Guest

I think there's a rather different attitude to design for car and planes. If a car is good looking it'll sell even it it has poor aerodynamics, like SUVs. If a plane has poor aerodynamics it'll fall out of the sky, even the best salesman is not going to be able to gloss over that offering free floor mats or throwing in Sat-Nav.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I wasn't going back that far!

If you talk to people who've been around airplanes a lot longer than myself, you'll hear a lot of skepticism about the durability of composite airframes. Sure, they've been subjected to all kinds of research and testing, but nothing substitutes for real-world use over a long time period. Aluminum airplanes have been around for 75 years of so, and in the conservative world of aircraft design, that counts for a lot.

Lovely airplanes. I've managed to sit in a couple and got a ride in one once. I thought seriously for a while about getting a partnership together to buy one. They've got a mysteriously poor safety record, though. No single obvious problem area, just a lot of accidents.