"Boing"-sound

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zenzic, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Zenzic macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am having a rather annoying problem with my MacBook lately. Now and then I hear this "boing"-like sound. It's exactly the same sound you hear in Firefox when doing a search on a site (with apple-f) and the word you are typing can't be found. You can also hear this sound when copy-pasting a piece of text into a MacMessenger conversation window which exceeds the maximum length. It seems to occur at random intervals and I always hear the sound two times in a row, about one second apart. I am watching a movie tonight, and it has happened 3 times during the last hour.

Applications running:

Mac Messenger
    Transmission
    Quicktime
    iTunes
    Firefox
    Google Notifier
    (Dashboard: Indicate & iStat Pro)

Any thoughts?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, I'm assuming the sound you're referring to is the standard "system beep"--that's what you'd hear when you did what you describe. Question is, then, what's causing a couple of system beeps on a regular basis.

Firefox shouldn't beep without you doing something, nor should Quicktime or iTunes, so you can probably rule those out.

Not sure why Transmission would do that, and Dashboard widgets generally are silent, so that's down to MacMessenger or Google Notifier, neither of which I'm familiar with. Perhaps Google Notifier is notifying you of something on a regular basis? Or maybe MacMessenger beeps when something changes (somebody comes online, say? I know iChat makes a funky sound when someone in your buddy list goes online or offline unless you tell it not to).

Try quitting one then the other of those and see if it stops, or look through the prefs and see if anything looks suspicious.

3. Zenzic thread starter macrumors newbie

I've taken a look at the sound pane in system preferences. The sound I'm referring to would be called "Funk".

I believe I read somewhere that MacMessenger could cause this sound. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

EDIT: Some people have informed me MacMessenger is in fact causing this problem. Making the switch to another IM solved their problem.